Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 am 

hermanmunster wrote:
:shock: what a mess they have made of it

Again :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:57 pm 

No harm if HBS governors also sit for English comprehension test along with the 11 year olds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:58 pm 

Dear All,

I thought I would provide some clarification on the 3-mile catchment conundrum presented by HBS Admissions code this year and emailed the council for confirmation on how distance would be calculated. Please find the councils response below:

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can confirm that the home-to-school distance for entry to Year 7 2020 at Henrietta Barnett School, will be measured in a straight line between the address point for the child's home (supplied by Ordnance Survey) to the school's main entrance on Central.

The reference to ‘3-mile statutory walking distance as defined in section 444 of the Education Act 1996’ provides the rationale for the use of this cut-off distance on the school’s admission arrangements. Eligible children living within 3 miles of the school will be prioritised, as they live within the statutory walking distance, as defined in the cited legislation.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards

Deputy Admissions Team Manager and School Place Planner
Admissions Team
Barnet with Cambridge Education
2 Bristol Avenue
Colindale
London
NW9 4EW
United Kingdom
T +44 (0)20 8359 7651
M
W www.camb-ed.com
W www.barnet.gov.uk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:27 pm 

Woodsideparkmum wrote:
Dear All,

I thought I would provide some clarification on the 3-mile catchment conundrum presented by HBS Admissions code this year and emailed the council for confirmation on how distance would be calculated. Please find the councils response below:

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can confirm that the home-to-school distance for entry to Year 7 2020 at Henrietta Barnett School, will be measured in a straight line between the address point for the child's home (supplied by Ordnance Survey) to the school's main entrance on Central.

The reference to ‘3-mile statutory walking distance as defined in section 444 of the Education Act 1996’ provides the rationale for the use of this cut-off distance on the school’s admission arrangements. Eligible children living within 3 miles of the school will be prioritised, as they live within the statutory walking distance, as defined in the cited legislation.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards

Deputy Admissions Team Manager and School Place Planner
Admissions Team
Barnet with Cambridge Education
2 Bristol Avenue
Colindale
London
NW9 4EW
United Kingdom
T +44 (0)20 8359 7651
M
W http://www.camb-ed.com
W http://www.barnet.gov.uk

Um...

But the '3 mile walking distance' (as a measure of the distance it is reasonable to expect a child of 8 years old upwards to walk to school) isn't the same as 3 miles straight line distance. There are very few schools, where the straight line distance from home to school isn't less than the distance one would cover walking between the two, especially in an urban area and more so, the nearer to the edge of the '3 miles straight' one starts. You can be living well within 3 miles straight line and still be more than a 3 mile walk away.

There really isn't any need for 'statutory walking distance' to be mentioned at all in the admissions policy, if the actual measurement to be used (perfectly sensibly, being so much less open to interpretation) is Straight Line.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:35 pm 

Dear HBS Governors,

You definitely need to go on English comprehension and Understand Schools Admissions Code courses.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 am 

Has anyone read the recent determination by the office of the schools adjudicator, where HBS lost the adjudication and have been advised to rewrite their admissions code by February 2020. Will this have any impact on the 2020 intake?? And does the determination mean that Band C girls who live in the catchment have not met the "standard required", therefore do not qualify?? Its all very confusing......

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -school--3

The bands play no part in the allocation process and are a method for the school to indicate information.
Quote:
The way the School has split the candidates into the three groups in previous years is as follows: candidates in Band A were those with a score that would have given them a place in at least one of the previous three years. Band B were candidates with a score that may have gained them a place in at least one of the three previous years. Band C candidates would not have been offered a place in the last three years”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:09 pm 

38. The process of admissions for September 2020 is already well advanced and I am aware of a further objection to the school’s admission arrangements which may or may not result in a requirement that the school respond to matters other than those which I have dealt with here by making revisions to its arrangements. I therefore consider it appropriate
for the school to await the outcome of that objection before revising its arrangements in line with this determination. That revision would, however, be no later than 28 February 2020.

That bit is interesting... One awaits with bated breath :lol:.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:32 pm 

:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:32 pm 

ToadMum wrote:
38. The process of admissions for September 2020 is already well advanced and I am aware of a further objection to the school’s admission arrangements which may or may not result in a requirement that the school respond to matters other than those which I have dealt with here by making revisions to its arrangements. I therefore consider it appropriate
for the school to await the outcome of that objection before revising its arrangements in line with this determination. That revision would, however, be no later than 28 February 2020.

That bit is interesting... One awaits with bated breath :lol:.

Any way of finding out what the other objection is about?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next