Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:09 pm 

Going to purchase one for DS this afternoon, I will be interested to see how much his train fare to school is discounted.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:05 pm 

I called them on 03453011656 because the small print says that it excludes London zones 1-9 and Dartford is in zone 8. However, they tell me it's fine because Dartford is in Kent. The proof will be in the pudding when I go to buy the season card in September. I will report back, though.

@doodles, doesn't it say 50% off? Or does it mean up to 50% off?

Salsa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:38 pm 

@salsa it says 50% off standard Anytime, Off-Peak, Advance and Season tickets. It is not available to buy at National Rail station ticket offices.

However it was very easy to order online and even I managed to take his photo on my iPad and upload it straight onto the form. The ticket office at Sevenoaks told me you can't actually buy tickets until 2nd September - there's going to be such a rush that morning, why didn't they say 1st September - and it will take his fare down to roughly child's fare.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:48 pm 

doodles wrote:
@salsa it says 50% off standard Anytime, Off-Peak, Advance and Season tickets. It is not available to buy at National Rail station ticket offices.

However it was very easy to order online and even I managed to take his photo on my iPad and upload it straight onto the form. The ticket office at Sevenoaks told me you can't actually buy tickets until 2nd September - there's going to be such a rush that morning, why didn't they say 1st September - and it will take his fare down to roughly child's fare.

Yes, that’s good, isn’t it? I have bought it on line too. Uploaded a picture my son took of himself with my iPhone. They did tell me, on the phone, that I could buy the ticket 1 day before, I’ll try. Otherwise, it’ll be early on Monday!
Salsa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:59 pm 

When I have bought season tickets in the past they used to let me buy it the day before valid for travel the next day. I will go up on Sunday afternoon and see what they say.

DS has always used the bus before as it is well subsidised in Kent. However, when he went into yr12 last year I found I was shelling out for the train at least 3 times a week as he needed / wanted to stay late / rugby training etc and the bus pass wasn't being used. Though this is more expensive it will be more flexible for him and of course he will be on study leave after Easter so it could in fact work out cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:31 pm 

Ordered late yesterday afternoon and arrived in the post this morning!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:04 pm 

Same here!
Salsa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:38 pm 

Hi all,
Just to report that I’ve just bought the season ticket for my son and indeed have saved 50%! I did have to get the person from the helpline to talk directly to the man at the station as he wasn’t getting the discount. I guess as this is a new card.
Helpline 03453011656
Salsa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:58 pm 

DS2 has already got a 3 year 16-25 railcard, but I am mi ded to get this one as well for the year as I intend him to do as many university open days / applicant days as possible by public transport. The difference between the two railcard ticket prices for the outward leg of our visit to Leeds in early October is about £10 (less on the way back, as we can get a cheaper ticket), so even increasing the outlay on railcards to £100 over 3 years will still save us / him money (current 16-25 will expire at easter of his first year at university).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:40 pm 

Ds2 renewed his 16-25 during freshers week (about 2 months early) as he was offered 3yrs for £70.