Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: GCSE 2020
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:01 pm 

Do you feel the same about the universities, which refuse to award degrees until all debts due from the student have been paid?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:25 pm 

On the side of students and parents paying huge fees to schools claiming charity status.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:02 pm 

Hera wrote:
quasimodo wrote:
My youngest has given up any thoughts of doing any GCSE exams in the Autumn or in the summer of 2021.The advice she has had from her school through her form teacher through their conversations with Ofqual are that the exam boards will be asked to focus on A level exams which are important for University entrance and English and Maths GCSEs which are important to pass for many for employment purposes.So she and we will have to accept whatever grades she has been given.Its a very unsatisfactory position but that is where we are.She is now focusing on the A level work given by her school.We have advised her to to do this until the end of what would be the end of the summer term and then have 6 weeks off.

Has she been told this as a certainty or a possibility as nothing has been published/announced?

I can’t say if this is a certainty or a possibility.My daughter has acted on the advice and it was given to me hearsay.I have been following Ofqual closely and their blog and the last time I checked a few days back there was nothing to confirm it.Sometimes you have to go
with what you think is likely and the form teacher was giving advice in a lateral class with girls from years 7 to years 12.

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:09 pm 

My DD was considering taking one or two gcse exams in the autumn in subjects she is fairly confident she wouldn’t be getting 9s in ( not maths or English).
When she discussed with her current HOY she was told in their opinion it wasn’t a good use of her time and she should just focus on A levels now.
DD not doing A levels in either of the two subjects.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 12:17 pm 

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-coro ... sed-boards

The boards are clearly discussing what to do regarding the autumn exams and no final decision has yet been made including not running any exams in some GCSEs and A levels.

https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2020/05/15/m ... -colleges/

Ofqual have set out how schools will standardise scores this year.I must say I was dissapointed when I read Ofqual will only take a schools last two years data for the purposes of standardising GCSEs.I believe my daughters school had for one year at least a very weak cohort if not for both.I was hoping they would take the data over a number of years.This anomally could be corrected to a degree by the exam boards taking into account the previous performance of the cohort overall at KS2 level.

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:20 pm 

Thanks quasimodo. So another consultation with regards to autumn exams. How frustrating. I was hoping for some clarity from this consultation. I think the lack of clarity over what is happening makes it much harder for the kids involved.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 am 

Ofqual updated guidance

How grades will be awarded without exams

Additional information for Heads of Centre, Heads of Department and teachers on objectivity in grading and ranking

Quote:
The window for submitting grades and rank orders is Monday 1 June to Friday 12 June.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 am 

Submitting Grades and Ranks Information

Quote:
The submission window will run from 1 June until 12 June 2020.

You will not be submitting marks; you will submit grades and a rank order for each grade.

We're developing a system for you to submit your centre assessment grades and rank orders. You will be able to submit this information directly into the website or by uploading a spreadsheet, which needs to be in a CSV format.

Quote:
If you have started to collate your grades and rank orders already, we can confirm the spreadsheet information will be arranged in the following order:

Centre number
Syllabus/qualification code - this is the entry code
Candidate number
Candidate name
Date of birth
Grade
Rank.

The candidate and qualification details will be pre-populated in the CSV file(s) you download from the system. You will only need to add the grade and rank order.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:02 pm 

Consultation on an additional GCSE, AS and A level exam series in autumn 2020

Quote:
Given the current uncertainty about when schools and colleges will re-open we are not consulting on the exact dates when the exams should take place. However, for the exams to best serve their intended purpose we envisage that, if possible, AS and A level exams should take place in October and GCSE exams in November. We propose, therefore, to put in place provision for the exam boards to offer exams from October 2020 with the exact timing being confirmed by us, having taken advice from government, the exam boards and groups representing school and college leaders and teachers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30