Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:20 pm 

I am going blind reading through all the past guidance, and I just can't work out the answer to this question...

If the Panel decides that the school can admit additional children, how does it decide who should be admitted? Is it based on who was most persuasive at appeal, or who would be higher up the oversubscription criteria/waiting list?

I'm sure I'm just being stupid and/or unobservant but if anyone knows the answer please shout!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:22 pm 

It would be the person who presents the best/most persuasive argument. Who would have the best reason to attend that particular school.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 pm 

I think if an appeal against oversubscription is successful, the school has to admit the child regardless of how many other appeals are successful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:47 pm 

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c1
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2

Quote:
C2 (b). The balancing stage

Stage 2 is sometimes called the ‘balancing stage’. The panel weighs up the prejudice that the admission of an extra child would cause, and balances that against the strength of the parental case. The side with the stronger case wins. You could have a strong case but lose the appeal because the panel decides the school case is even stronger. You might even have a weak case but win your appeal because the school case is even weaker!

Another factor that might influence the result is the number of appeals being heard at the same time. If you are appealing for a very popular school immediately after ‘National Allocations Day’ (allocation letters are posted on 1st March, or the first working day thereafter), there could be 20, 30 or even 40+ cases to be heard. These are known as ‘multiple appeals’, and no decision is taken on any individual case until all the timely appeals have been heard.

After hearing all the timely appeals, the panel (and it must be the same panel) has to balance each parental case against the prejudice to the school. They must then consider whether the school could cope with the total number of (potentially) successful appeals. If they decide the school could not cope, they are obliged to move away from “each case is considered purely on its own merits,” and they have to start comparing cases. They prioritise all the cases, and decide which of them to allow (up to the point where they judge the prejudice to the school has become too great).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm 

Thanks all. I am still quite muddled but I'm glad I'm misreading the information rather than missing it altogether!

Best wishes to others appealing.