Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Life at HBS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:35 am 

Hi again Barnetmamma!

Forgot to mention the most important thing!

Our feelings about each school evolved significantly between September and March, our feelings about NLCS and other private schools, about Latymer and about HBS. You may well find that, too.

It's November now and it's very different in March if your daughter has earned a genuine and significant choice.

You've clearly asked all the right questions. But only your child and your family can know what the right answers will be for her, when you are ready to make your decision in March. In the meantime, I would re-focus and have a really good go at the private school entrance exams.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:25 am 

Wow! Are they allowed to study 4 languages??? For how many years and which languages? This sounds amazing! I have only heard of two languages at other grammars, so this sounds cerainly unusual ana a wonderful opportunity!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:47 am 

Not allowed, Walthams. It's obligatory. French, German and Latin in year 7 and they add Spanish in year 8. They then study all four til the end of year 9. One language is compulsory at gcse and the limit, I think, is 2.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:47 pm 

Thank you for your posts Middlesexmum, Stokers and Jean.Brodie, and thank you to mad? for signposting me to Barnetdad's past posts . I've been diligently reading and all your posts have been really helpful.

Middlesexmum wrote:
Other activities - the school competes in a Junior and Senior Mock Trial which is a fantastic experience. .

I'm lost for what a "mock trial" is? Can you enlighten me? :oops:

Jean.Brodie wrote:
Hi again Barnetmamma!
Our feelings about each school evolved significantly between September and March, our feelings about NLCS and other private schools, about Latymer and about HBS. You may well find that, too.

It's November now and it's very different in March if your daughter has earned a genuine and significant choice.

You've clearly asked all the right questions. But only your child and your family can know what the right answers will be for her, when you are ready to make your decision in March. In the meantime, I would re-focus and have a really good go at the private school entrance exams.

Good luck!

Thank you Jean.Brodie. This gave me a kick up the backside. We've been slacking since the round 2 exams and need to regain some focus again, without which this whole thread would be us getting ahead of ourselves. Whatever the outcome, whether or not we have a choice ultimately, we are so lucky to know that DD2 is going to a great school.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 pm 

this is about mock trials :

https://smartlaw.org.uk/mock-trials/mag ... -teachers/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 am 

hermanmunster wrote:

Sounds like a great experience! DD's latest idea of what she wants to be when she "grows up" is a lawyer. This will be of interest to her. Nevertheless, her past choices have included being a cleaner, opening a zoo, a teacher, a doctor and now the latest, a lawyer! I'm not counting on her latest career option sticking, but the mock trials sound great for general life skills and experience. :)

Thanks for the heads up hermanmunster :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:37 pm 

I know of kids locally who did it and enjoyed it very much - one particularly relished being the judge!