Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 pm 

new to this,,girls have started yr5,,cant afford private tutor for both so planning on tutoring them myself. there is so much out there that its given me a headache,,can someone advice or point me to the right direction to which books are the best to prepare for birmingham 11+ 2019 please.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 am 

Twinsmom some people recommend the CEM books + some the Bond. If you look on the various sites there are some free resources to have a go at, also if you have any teacher friends they will have a Twinkl account with free 11+ resources that they can share with you. Also ask your school, as they may have resources or help, we left it too late to ask.
I would recommend booking them a mock test, so that they see the reality of how much they have to answer in the time and get them used to answering questions using the 11+ score sheet as children often lose marks by putting their answer in the wrong place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:09 pm 

Thank you for your help halsea..i didn't quite prepare myself for the vast amount of info on the web..u just dont know where to start.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:17 pm 

It can feel quite overwhelming as its such an important issue, but time is on your side. I only realised in June that it was an option, I thought it happened at some point in yr6, so we only had 6 weeks really. People are really friendly and helpful on here, ask lots of questions and just start with small things like a few minutes of non verbal puzzles, some extra vocab words, reading different genres/formats etc.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:03 am 

My DD just took the Birmingham grammar test on 8th Sept. and is now anxiously awaiting the results. Below are the books we bought for her preparation. Hope this helps.

Practice Books:
1. CGP Practice Books for Maths, Non Verbal, English and Verbal Reasoning (All with Assessment Tests included)
2. CGP 10 Minutes for Maths, Maths Word Problems, English, VR Cloze and VR Comprehension
3. Complete Maths Packs (6 Books) from a company operating in Shirley, Birmingham
4. Maths Speed Test and English Comprehension (2 Books) from the same company as no. 3
5. Bond 11+ Stretch English Tests and Papers (focused more on child's comprehension abilities)
6. Synonyms and Antonyms by Christine R. Draper (small yet very useful)

Mock Test Books:
1. CGP 11+ Practice Tests (4 Packs - each pack contains 2 mock tests, each test has two papers and each paper requires 45 mins test time)
2. Children's Educational Material 11+ Mock Tests (3 Packs - each pack has 1 mock test, each test has two papers, each paper requires 50 mins test time)
3. How2become.com 11+ CEM Style Style Practice Papers (1 Pack with 3 mock tests, each test has two papers, each paper requires 45 mins test time)

We also got her into Bond online. To simulate the actual test, she took several physical mock tests conducted by the same company based in Shirley.

There are many to choose from online, these were the ones we chose from the lot, not necessarily the best. Whether they helped her remains to be seen.

Good luck on your 11+ journey.