Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:56 am 
We can all feel envious of people who are able to send their children to private school at times. But why do you think only children in private schools are coached? I think children in state schools are also coached (if this is the word you want to use). All children, from a very early age are taught, otherwise what are they doing at school?

Really people should be greateful that parents have chosen to take the private route. They had no subsidies, for their education, it is soley paid for by the parents. Can you imagine the size of the classrooms in the state sector if their were no private schools, and there would be no more funding for these children, as they don't have any funding at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:14 am 
Oh, but some children's homework at aged 7 consists of verbal and non verbal reasoning - now you tell me what state school sends homework like this? It could only be the preppies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:29 am 
Preppies (as you call them) do not do that here in Essex, I have first hand knowledge of that, or three private schools anyway. Preppies, in fact want there children to go onto independant schools and that is what they prepare them for. Verbal reasoning rarely would come into an Independant common entrance exam.

I take it that your children go, or have been to a preppie school, as you have so much working knowledge of them, or is your knowledge just here say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:00 am 

Hello second but last Guest,

This is how I worked out how bright some children might be. My son’s school doesn’t usually tell the whole class of individual scores for Sats or other tests, but makes an exception for the top scores. Many children have been in the same class since reception, so they are starting to have a good appreciation of each others level by now.
For example, one little boy always het similar results as my son. Very good at maths, good but not brilliant in ltteracy. (It’s what my son says). Also, he came round recently and wrote a story on the computer that we all found very good: good vocabulary, good spelling. This child got an 11+ score 20 points below my son’s score. We know that he had not been tutored, wheras my son had been.

My son went to a tutor group we were not happy with and I tutoted him myself for the few weeks leading to the exams. Before we started, he had a timing problem in VB. He did not usually manage to finish the questions on time. We gave him lost of practice, focusing on the areas he had most problems with. He improved and passed the exam. Like in any other area of life, practice raises standards. Two children of similar ability will perform very differently depending on the amount of practice they have on anything. I am puzzled when people this that Verbal reasoning is different.

I insist on this because I am thinking of parents who are starting with 11+ process now and are reading this forum. I don’t want them to believe that they don’t need to tutor their child to a good standard. Whether they do it themselves or hire a professional tutor, is not the point. Anyone who has a child in Year 5 needs to get on with it now. There's tons of good advice on this forum now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:06 pm 
I will remember not to send my child round to your house, just in case you start to test his intelligence by giving him essays to write.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:37 pm 

It was part of a computer game.

Post subject: results buckinghamshire
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:30 pm 
Smita just a query, if your sons birthday is in June how come He was able to take the 11-plus having only just turned 10? Surely it should be next year!

Post subject: Results
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:39 pm 
Thisis for anyone out there.
How have some of you managed to get your children to sit 2 exams ie; Bucks and Berks?? We were told children could only sit it once Have I missed a chance for my son - or am I getting the wrong end of the stick????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:46 pm 
It would seem so judging by the the Results thread on the Berks section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:08 pm 
As far as I'm aware anyone can apply to any school anywhere in the country.

Some school do have catchment areas others do not. If you are out of catchment you will have a slim chance of getting in. Some schools that do have a catchment area wave this for the top 50 scores etc.

As long as you list all your schools you apply to on your preference form it doesn't matter where you live. Our area allows you to list 6 preferences the neighbouring borough only get 3!

Surely the school/LEA should have made this clear to you. Did you not have a"transferring to high school" meeting?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next