Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Colchester CHSG
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:49 pm 

So are the cardigans not really worn by the girls? We went down to Coes this morning, and I must say that the blazer is rather ‘fitting’, even for DD who is very slim. Adding a cardigan would mean she’d need get a blazer a few sizes up - don’t really want her to look like a padded out pillow :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:42 pm 

Btw, Long sleeve blouses are on sale on the John Lewis website at the moment :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:50 pm 

The swimming pool has been out of action for at least a year/eighteen months because of the building work, but it should be open for September (I phoned and asked as DD was so desperate to know). Swimming will be back on the PE schedule for years 7-11 from September.

Before it closed DD woke up early and used the school pool at least twice a week, I think they were allowed in from 8am when the PE teacher arrived. She also had a whole term of swimming in PE in Year 7.

Coes came to school once before DD started school, one of the events they have before the girls start Yr 7 in September. If we had been patient enough to wait in line we could have tried on the uniform in the school and ordered it. This was 2016, don't know if they still do it. All the other uniform sales are run by the PTFA and are only second hand uniform.

Fair enough on the white socks, although we did need to buy some for PE. DD walks the muddy path twice a day, navy socks were the better choice for us! Sock colour seems to go through trends as well, by year and by class.

Cardigans - not really I don't think, I rarely see girls in them (my school run takes me past the school twice a day). They are quite pricey and my advising friend said they don't wash well and are itchy. The school is quite warm anyway and they aren't allowed to take their blazers off without permission. I'd probably go up at least one size in the blazer to get some wear out of it :D . Are they really a Year 7 if they don't have skirts down to mid calf and blazers that cover their hands :lol: ? DD wears an extra layer underneath her shirt when its cold.

Have the John Lewis blouses got the correct collar? They need to have a revere collar (whatever that is?) and I couldn't find them outside of Coes. I was really cross because DD's primary uniform was sky blue shirts and they were much cheaper!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 pm 

Yes it’s the revere collar.
https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pa ... e/p3218236

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:52 pm 

The edges of the collars are different from the Coes ones, they are sewn flat rather than ‘puffy’, but at that price I would be willing to take a punt!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:21 am 

For year 7, only long sleeves blouses? An option for short or long?

And is it advisable wait for the Uniform meeting to be held at school or start shopping the non-Coes items?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am 

You can have either short or long sleeves on shirts.

Pretty much all the information about uniform is in the pack the school sends out (and the website), so as long as you read it carefully you can start getting the bits you need whenever.

Skirt length is probably the most important thing to get right.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:53 pm 

Colcmum wrote:
The edges of the collars are different from the Coes ones, they are sewn flat rather than ‘puffy’, but at that price I would be willing to take a punt!

I’ve taken a punt - will take a close look when I collect them and return if unsuitable. Uniform policy does say shirts aren’t under the monopoly of Coes. If they pass the test, I might stock up for next year as well! :lol:

I’ve seen girls in both long and shirt sleeved blouses, and the uniform policy reflects that. The only sleeve length that Year 7 girls aren’t allowed is the 3/4 length.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 pm 

Thanks both of you for clarifying.

Thought of ordering some short sleeves from John Lewis, unfortunately sizes not available.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:06 pm 

I'm tempted to get some for DD as that is a better price for shirts than the uniform sale. Then I won't cry when she wrecks them :lol: .

I asked DD about the collars and she said that they don't care unless your skirt is rolled or too short, your sleeves are rolled up, you wear big earrings, the wrong type of shoes or trainer socks. Oddly trainer socks will get you a detention. Also if your trousers are too tight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next