Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:47 pm 

Once was delighted to see IKEA - DC was doing a year abroad and there was zilch in the self catering accommodation, going to IKEA at least looked familiar and we were able to find what we needed :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:22 pm 

Some great handy hints on here, got a mattress topper as DD would've hated it if the mattress was too hard/soft so she has a nice topper - for all the sleep she'll have :lol:

Read earlier posts about dropping off and leaving, had a chat with DD but she said she wanted me to stay to help set up her room, make it cosy (after dropping of accom items, her comment ... well Dad can take the car to the nearest park and ride and walk back - about 20 mins - whilst we get organised :lol: ). We've become really close during my medical treatment and the I'm so embarrased by my mum has gone, she just appreciates precious time together. She's very excited about this new chapter in her life and her degree, and I'm excited for her too. I will miss her, she was my rock when I felt low, but I also know this is the most wonderful adventure she is about to embark on :D X x x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:35 pm 

I think a fair few parents do hang around, certainly help to unpack and then sometimes head for some shops to get some goodies / things they have forgotten etc...

Am about to start my sixth year of abandoning my children in distant towns, somehow they keep finding their way back home :lol: :lol: (though there is still a mountain of washing to do :oops: :roll: )

PS good luck to all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:04 pm 

Being gone by the time evening activities begin is just fine!
Lots of parents take them off to the supermarkets etc.
With one of ours who was quite a way from home we dropped quickly but stayed over a few miles away so could go shopping for missing stuff the next morning and drop off ( not going in). It was a campus and not easy to get to shops so that worked well.
With boys I worry that if they don't unpack there and then it never happens :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:58 pm 

Feel like we're not organised at all. Apart from suitable clothes etc what are the absolute essentials if you're in catered halls? Apologies if this has been covered already - just about to read the 2016 part of this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:00 pm 

^ignore for now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:47 pm 

KS10 wrote:
Feel like we're not organised at all. Apart from suitable clothes etc what are the absolute essentials if you're in catered halls? Apologies if this has been covered already - just about to read the 2016 part of this thread.

most crucial thing is to check the bed size - very annoying having wrong sized bedding

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:31 pm 

hermanmunster wrote:
KS10 wrote:

most crucial thing is to check the bed size - very annoying having wrong sized bedding

Absolutely :lol: . At some universities, it's just a case of 'normal single or normal 4ft?'. At Lancaster and, I think, Kent, there are various possibilities, some of them definitely odd. Friend with DD at the former ended up buying flat double sheets, to be wrapped round the mattress like the pastry of a sausage roll, due to the rather bizarre length of the thing :shock: .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 pm 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/studen ... v-licence/

I thought this was a useful article for those considering whether a TV license needs to be bought.

Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:30 pm 

KS10

Slip on indoor footwear - preferably that can get wet if no en suite bathroom.
Floors in hall are yucky, especially kitchens but you don't want to faff putting proper shoes on every time you go to get a cup of tea.

Similarly, a small bucket type thing ( even better if has drainage holes) to take toiletries to bathroom. There won't necessarily be anywhere to put a normal toilet bag.

Clothing to get to and from bathrooms. Won't necessarily be anywhere to keep full outfit dry but especially in mixed halls you don't necessarily want to be skipping along in just boxers or a nightie.

Extension leads ( check regulations)

Bed throw - usually only comfy place to sit and keeps duvet cover clean. Cushions along the wall can make it more like a sofa , but not an 'essential'.

Basic eating & drinking utensils and if any cooking provision a small saucepan and mini fry pan ( beans/ eggs on toast, heating up soup etc) & can/ bottle opener.

Hot & cold drinks & biscuit tin ( preferably full). Canister of dried fruit & nuts.

Fold up clothes airer ( useful for damp towel - best if clothes tumble dry as much as possible).

Door stop ( so they don't end up shit off from passer by. Usually no allowed officially but if they are in the room & awake it's usually ok.

We sent ours with a very basic (£15 type) spare mobile phone for emergencies.

Worth checking the type of bed if you can. If storage space under it's good to have crates or at least those stuff 'bags' that fit under. Space is very limited

Possibly a cheap flat pack bookcase. Not essential but if floor space it can provide extra storage. Might be something that needs to wait until they get there.

Antibacterial wipes in case the bathroom / kitchen are really disgusting.

Tea towel!

Probably enough 'basics' :)

Oh, if they are going north of where you live make sure they are prepared for the weather. They might need gloves, hat and a proper coat before Christmas. And some sensible footwear! One of DCs had flatmates who only had ballet pump type shoes and they got deep snow in the first term....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next