Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:03 pm 

deleted

Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 pm 

Quote:
Loopyloulou wrote:
fm wrote:
I would not, however, assume the person wearing such is a) a bad person or b) a worthless person or c) an unintelligent person.

I would.

Hmm. No my problem is different. I would translate an excessively disorganised apperance, too may tattoos and piercing, chains etc to indicate someome that is paying too much attention to one's appearance and tries to state his value through it. This is what would pre-dispose me rather negatively. On the other hand a beard that is not well kept or someone that has not shaved for ages indicates an opposite problem: one should make an effort to get a life while being a brilliant student at the same time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:56 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Truthfully, I would sooner have an inspirational, highly intelligent teacher with a tattoo

Oh dear, I'm sure Che Guevara was one such...
[/quote]

I could not think of a more unfortuante example: it is exactly Che's good looks (in the photgraph, not in reality) that have made him so well known and such a popular icon. He was not a teacher, but a medical student with a rather weak health. I do not think he had any tattoos, but then again he never posed naked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:09 pm 

I think it is a bit unfair to read too much into the appearance of a school leaver.
They are after all just learning to express their own identities, many of them have been in school uniforms right up until their final exams after all.
If their answers in the interview process along with their grades at A Level mean that they are suitable candidates for the course in question, then let them in. They still have a few years before they will be entering the workforce, and have plenty of time to learn to conform.

LFH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:31 pm 

Loopyloulou wrote:
fm wrote:
Quote:
Tattoos are often the sign of a mixed-up child

That's the sort of person the "polytechnics" are there for.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can never make up my mind whether you really mean what you post or just like lighting the touch paper :?:

Still not sure....... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:48 pm 

Chelmsford mum wrote:
Loopyloulou wrote:
fm wrote:
Quote:
Tattoos are often the sign of a mixed-up child

That's the sort of person the "polytechnics" are there for.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can never make up my mind whether you really mean what you post or just like lighting the touch paper :?:

Still not sure....... :lol:

Who cares? It definetely is entertaining and I think you agree CM judging by the laughing faces :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:42 pm 
Have I missed something? Have they brought back polytechnics?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:54 pm 

fm wrote:
Have I missed something? Have they brought back polytechnics?

No but there are those (not me ) ,who would take the view "Once a Polytechnic always a polytechnic" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm 

sj355 wrote:
I would translate an excessively disorganised apperance, too may tattoos and piercing, chains etc to indicate someome that is paying too much attention to one's appearance and tries to state his value through it.
On the other hand a beard that is not well kept or someone that has not shaved for ages indicates an opposite problem: one should make an effort to get a life while being a brilliant student at the same time!

Huh? So what would you infer from someone with tattoos, piercings and a messy beard?

Anyway, someone wearing a smart shirt, tie, suit and nicely polished brogues could be accused of paying too much attention to their appearance just as you accuse the pierced person!

And the conventionally smart applicant could arrive at university and then start getting into body modification!

Personally, I don't like tatoos, piercings (other than ear lobes) or scruffy beards. But I know - and work with - plenty of intelligent and charming people who fit into some of those categories.

Certainly first impressions matter, and if going for an interview one should spruce up a bit, but an interview for an academic course should primarily be about the candidate's suitability for the course and other activities that the university offers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:00 pm 

zee wrote:

Huh? So what would you infer from someone with tattoos, piercings and a messy beard?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What about...... tatoos, piercings, messy beard and a smart suit, shirt , tie and polished brogues?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next