Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:02 pm 

My DD's comprehension skills have never been her strongest, as vocab and inference skills could be better developed (she is an avid reader but doesn't want to stop to ask what words mean). However, I'm worrying as the scores she achieves on the various tests are so different. On CGP, she struggles to get above 65% (and sometimes scoring in the 50s), whereas on Letts / FPTP she regularly scores 80%++, GL somewhat lower.

Is this to be expected? Still struggling with timings on FPTP. I know it says to read the passage first but are there any other tips out there for a quick boost/improvement - test is in a couple of weeks' time!

Thanks much

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:01 am 

Hi
In general we (Dd and I) feel the cgp ones are harder than others.
This is not just for comprehension but other subjects too.
We are hit and miss too on comprehension so don't despair.
What I do is make her read the passage aloud when we do corrections and make her attempt the incorrect questions again.
She usually gets i second time around unless it is a vocabulary question and she has never heard of the word!

I know we are all anxious with the tests a few days away but any learning is useful - even if it means looking up dictionary and working it out together.
I tell her and myself it's not all for the 11 plus. This effort will be useful somewhere down her academic road!

Sorry I have no specific tips towards quick reading/boost.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 am 

Hi,

I have started sitting next to my DD and doing the comprehension test with her.

It's a great motivator as my DD will try and beat my score when she marks our answeRs . So keeping it fun.

It also lets you gauge how many minutes she spends reading the text , compared with yourself and also how much she is referring back to the text.

Some texts are obviously more difficult so will take longer to read- but generally you can see which technique she is using- skim reading or really digesting the words .

It's hugely eye opening how ambiguous some of the questions are! She even managed to get some correct that I have got wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:20 am 

Thanks, that is really useful advice. I do agree, some texts are extremely challenging (particularly CGP) to read and, I would hazard a guess, even for the most able kids, especially with the tight time constraints. Not to mention then having to do the deep detective work required to answer some of the questions. I struggle with them too!

Just wondered whether it's worth reading the questions first (but not the answer options) to prime the brain to look out for the answers whilst reading. I just don't know what would work, as so little time left, but we'll try some of those tips first. Thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:33 am 

Has anyone done the bond comprehension 10/11 years?? How did it go'??
I think timing and the vocabulary is hard in bond/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:13 pm 

Regarding skim reading - a random thought.
Usually in long gl passages I see the question references the lines where the answer lies
If the child finds it easier to look at questions first maybe they can underline the relevant lines in the passage during the skim read.
Not sure if this will help with either speed or accuracy just a suggestion if it helps.

I keep reiterating to DD that comprehension is the only question where the answer is already provided and to take time to look for it.
However in CEM I do realise timing is everything.

And I am completely in agreement on how some questions seem ambiguous even to the adults.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm 

Open ended questions. Every time when DC said 'not necessarily..' I have a melt down.
Anyone feels the same?
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:13 pm 

We do the CGP comprehension and the tutor told us they they are really difficult and likely to be easier in the exam! I'm holding on to that :lol: DS can score anything from 6 - 10 on those CGP comprehension tests (out of 12). He has only managed to score 10 once and his average score is 7 or 8!

Comprehension and shuffled sentences are the things he really struggles with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:20 pm 

I thought comprehension was always multiple choice?
Are we likely to have open ended? ( Though I can empathise with the "not necessarily" response :-))

However we are also preparing for a few private exams and I am trying not to get too fixated with the whole multiple choice thing!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm 

All very re-assuring to hear. Don't even get me started on open-ended questions! Fortunately, our tests are multiple choice but realise that not all exams are.

I think we'll try the looking at questions, underlining and skim/focus reading. Yes shuffled sentences (with the time element) real challenge too!

Re Bond, some of the test papers seemed similar, I thought, to Letts/GL but I know some people say the CEM Bond hardest of all. Also hoping that the exam will be easier than CGP and most of the test papers!!!! But there is the danger of the kids then thinking 'this is so much easier' and then be a bit slap-dash.

Can't wait for the exams to be over now so that we can relax a bit 8) . Thanks for all your help!