Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm 

I was wondering if anyone could help with a bit of research?

My eldest has just finished yr 11 (at a grammar). She is toying with the idea of offering a kind of mentoring service for primary aged children, either as support for 11+ or with maths, she has always been particularly strong with maths and will be taking it forward for A-level.
Knowing what a battle it is to get my own children to sit down and practice or even do any homework! we were wondering if there would be a market to have someone to come in for 1-1 sessions to help explain methods then support them through practice and example papers. Effectively a tutor, but I hesitate to use the term due to her age and experience, obviously she wouldn't expect to command anything like tutor rates either.

She has been through scouting and been a young leader for several years, both with Cub and Scout age groups, also has younger siblings so has experience with organising and being a bit of an authority figure for these age groups.
Would people feel comfortable with a 16 year old providing such a service.

Also wondering about what she would need to do to protect herself, or would she approach it similarly to babysitting...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:31 pm 

You only have to go to somewhere like ‘explore learning’ or kumon to see that teenagers are employed by these companies to teach youngsters. Sounds like she would be a cheaper option for parents and possibly a better 1-2-1 service.
If she is 16 she should get a DBS if she doesn’t already.

It could work but you probably both need to research a bit more I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:49 pm 

If she calls it mentoring then I think charging is a no no. Mentoring implies a volunteer/voluntary thing - and, actually when I read it at first, I thought that is what she meant - and thought what a lovely idea - she would get a lot out of it and so possibly would the kids.