Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:55 pm 
Yes, finding my way to Cambridge - £14 return on the train. :lol: Not sure whether to take the strong will as a complement. :? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 pm 

KES Parent wrote:
Tipsy and Guest 55, thank you for your support. I'm sure you can imagine that at parents' evenings I sometimes feel they must think I am the most inadequate and unassertive parent they have come across. I won't mention what my son's chosen career is as it is so unusual it might identify him, but one parent even told me to my face that it "wasn't really a proper job" !!

HiKES parent - don't worry about it, forcing kids to do things only leads to resentment later.... and sometimes mega stress earlier than that as I saw amongst colleagues on 6th form at KEHS.
Just waft into parents evening and say "ah yes - it is foretold in the stars that DS will do (insert career here)", smile sweetly at teacher and waft out again -try taking a crystal ball next time if the first visit doesn't have the desired effect!
it will get you far more kudos than the stressed out parents twisting the kids arms!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 pm 
hermanmunster wrote:
HiKES parent - don't worry about it, forcing kids to do things only leads to resentment later.... and sometimes mega stress earlier than that as I saw amongst colleagues on 6th form at KEHS.
Just waft into parents evening and say "ah yes - it is foretold in the stars that DS will do (insert career here)", smile sweetly at teacher and waft out again -try taking a crystal ball next time if the first visit doesn't have the desired effect!
it will get you far more kudos than the stressed out parents twisting the kids arms!

Thanks Herman, I will try that next time. I could do with a bit of kudos. We did have a talk from the Chief Master once telling parents that it was simply not plausible that 40% of the year group had vocations to be doctors, but I think all the parents there thought he was referring to everyone else except them! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:39 pm 

KES Parent wrote:
Thanks Herman, I will try that next time. I could do with a bit of kudos. We did have a talk from the Chief Master once telling parents that it was simply not plausible that 40% of the year group had vocations to be doctors, but I think all the parents there thought he was referring to everyone else except them! :wink:

I have also noticed some unlikely medical vocations appear amongst previously completely uninterested sixth formers - I suspect there's a certain amount of ignorance amongst some staff as well "you're good at science, top grades - you'd better be a doctor.." plus the schools also like to quote their successes for medical school entrance. Now if they would like to suggest some of them should be engineers... (sound of hobby horse being rolled into position!) - but sadly, many people, including school teachers, have very little idea what professional engineers do, whereas we all think we know what doctors get up to (after years of Casualty....!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm 

Solimum,

Many teachers do encourage students to be engineers - perhaps we should petition the BBC or ITV to run a soap about professional engineers ... perahps that will make it more acceptable to certain parents :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8