Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 am 
It's a shame because Leeds uni and Leeds has much to offer. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:52 pm 

The students I know that have gone to Leeds and Nottingham has never had any problems - all of them have enjoyed the course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:50 pm 
I never said there was a problem with the course. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:36 pm 

I was at school with someone who turned down a place at Cambridge to go and work for the local Water Authority! It seemed her path had been laid out by someone else for too long and she had finally had enough!

Know loads of people who went to Nottingham/Leeds. All enjoyed it and no-one noticed an exceptional level of crime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:18 pm 
I have somehow not got the knack of making my children do what I want them to do, which naturally would include applying to Oxford or Cambridge and making an effort to get in. It is most frustrating, as so many of their fellow pupils seem quite resigned to following whatever path is set out for them by their parents - this usually involves medicine or law at either Oxford or Cambridge - but mine just ignore me and do whatever they want. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:24 pm 
Tell them you don't want them to go to Oxbridge or do a course like medicine as its too much hard work and just maybe they'll be filing in their UCAS forms in a flash! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:26 pm 

KES parent - you should be proud that you have brought up children that can think for themselves ...

I think it's so sad to see 18 year olds being 'forced' along paths their parents choose for them - it usually goes wrong somewhere along the line too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:44 pm 
Tipsy and Guest 55, thank you for your support. I'm sure you can imagine that at parents' evenings I sometimes feel they must think I am the most inadequate and unassertive parent they have come across. I won't mention what my son's chosen career is as it is so unusual it might identify him, but one parent even told me to my face that it "wasn't really a proper job" !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 pm 
I don't know anyone that's ever been forced to do something they don't want to educationally. My kids are too strong-willed and will do exactly as they please, but that is why schools need to have teachers who are good mentors and can guide kids in the correct direction that is right for them. I wish I'd had some guidance instead of no one caring. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:50 pm 
T.i.p.s.y wrote:
I don't know anyone that's ever been forced to do something they don't want to educationally. My kids are too strong-willed and will do exactly as they please, but that is why schools need to have teachers who are good mentors and can guide kids in the correct direction that is right for them. I wish I'd had some guidance instead of no one caring. :roll:

We all care about you Tipsy, and you are finding your way to Cambridge now, even if a bit later than you might have done with the right kind of guidance. Your boys evidently inherit their strong will from you - I've no idea where mine get theirs from!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next