Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:07 pm 
I won't turn it down if I'm lucky enough - NO WAY! :lol:

Eventhough it would be easier in so many ways to stay in London, Oxbridge opens so many doors regardless of course so I think everyone, if able, should grab it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:01 pm 
T.i.p.s.y wrote:
I won't turn it down if I'm lucky enough - NO WAY! :lol:

Eventhough it would be easier in so many ways to stay in London, Oxbridge opens so many doors regardless of course so I think everyone, if able, should grab it.

Knowing your luck, Tipsy, you will probably just be strolling down King's Parade on your way to get a skinny latte from the Copper Kettle and the Master of King's will rush out and offer you a place without you even bothering to apply. :lol: Sorry, just being facetious - what are you hoping to study?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:06 pm 
Guest55 wrote:
KES parent,

I don't think it is ever a case of 'proving a point' - sometimes Oxbridge is not as attractive as the alternative. As I said I do know quite a few and I cannot think that the schools I've taught in are particularly exceptional in any way.

I genuinely don't know of anyone who has turned down an Oxbridge place - what would they be likely to find out during the application process that would convince them they didn't want to go there after all? It's not just somewhere you can apply to on a whim - you have to go to quite a lot of trouble to get to the interview stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 pm 
If I get in I'll do something special for you all on this site. :D No I won't leave! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:37 pm 

From what some have said the 'image' was more appealing than the reality - and, for some found courses that were are better alternatives for them.

One or two were shocked at the arrogance of students towards mere 'state schools' candidates - I jest not -

One was offered a bursary to go elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 am 

Although I haven't come across any examples myself I can imagine situations along the lines suggested by Guest55 where someone might turn down an Oxbridge offer - the initial application process is fairly rushed and once all the visits/ interviews (other universities do interview, although usually more informally) and open days have happened it is entirely plausible that the structure/ content / teaching style/ accommodation/ financial incentives of a different university course may become more attractive. My DS was very attracted by the Maths course at Imperial (especially as it had some options to take modules in music as well) and his decision to stick with the Oxford offer took a lot of serious thought. Other (presumably also rare, but not unheard-of) situations could include personal/ family circumstances - perhaps even wanting to go to the same place as a boy/girlfriend (I'm not saying this is to be encouraged, but 18-year olds can be very determined ....) ... or even to chase a member of the Royal family (!) . Perhaps even occasionally someone whose whole life has been planned with Oxbridge entrance in mind (the "best" primary/ prep, extra tuition, Eton or Winchester etc etc) can finally decide to rebel in the privacy of the UCAS website and escape to Edinburgh or Wolverhampton instead.....

By the way Tipsy, did you know that Cambridge (and presumably Oxford as well?) has a college (Lucy Cavendish) especially aimed at mature female undergraduates which might suit you better than the colleges full of school leavers. Do let us know what you plan to study...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:10 am 
I have applied to Lucy solimum! :D I wasn't going to apply to Cam but there are very few Zoology courses within my geographical location, and they are mostly at "high-brow" uni's anyway. Since visiting there I now want to go to a Collegiate university but I think the only other one is Durham, unless anyone knows of others. Being around UCL most days I think its a vibrant and cosmopolitan university and I would recommend it to any student. I wouldn't reject UCL but I would prefer a place with more mature students and at least in a collegiate system you can apply to a college that is only for mature students, or predominantly mature students.

By the way, choosing the best (perceived) schools doesn't necessarily mean that its because we want our kids at Oxbridge. If I had the choice (which I don't) I'd like my boys to go to uni in Scotland. If fees become means tested and come in line with public boarding school fees then I'd rather spend that money on American uni's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:24 am 

The very best of luck with that Tipsy - I'm sure you will have a great time wherever you end up (just remember to wrap up warm in Cambridge as the winds come straight from Siberia...)

From my limited experience kids react to parental pressure (subtle or not-so-subtle) to follow a particular route in different ways - some like to argue the case to prove that they do have independence of thought but then eventually go along with what you've decided is "best" and may even agree that you got it right, some passively conform but seethe with resentment underneath, some happily conform because it makes life easier than having to make their own decisions, some throw themselves into the "wrong" route just to prove a point, and some are well-balanced, increasingly mature and sensible, discussing important decisions with their parents and even thinking of things you hadn't considered before coming up with something imaginative of their own...

Not all the above are my children I hasten to add!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:35 am 
The only good uni's I wouldn't want my kids to go to are:

Glasgow - Scots in this part are very racist towards English people.
Nottingham and Leeds - may be wrong but I have heard there is a lot of crime in these areas and burglary of student property in digs.
Aberdeen - FREEZING, expensive and nothing to do up there.

BUT I do think they are all great uni's, so I am not criticising the establishments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11 am 

Unfortunatley I can confirm Tipsy's thoughts on Leeds :( :( :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next