Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:14 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: University or Course ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am
Posts: 32
Location: North London
My dear son is torn between choosing the university he likes and the courses offered to him. His teachers have stated that it is often possible to change courses (if it is within the same department, subject to the student's A level results). This choices based on his preference are (block capitals denote the preferred course, and lower case is the offer on the table):

1. The University of Manchester (PPE, politics & philosophy)
2. University of Nottingham (POLITICS & ECONOMICS, politics & international relations)
2. The University of Sheffield (POLITICS & ECONOMICS, politics & economics)
4. Lancaster University (PPE, ppe)
5. East Anglia (PPE, ppe)

I'm told that it is possible to change courses (within reason) once a student has started first year. My son is undecided in terms of career choices but has mentioned finance, compliance or possibly law (financial regulation).

Many thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:01 pm
Posts: 9744
Location: Herts
At Manchester you can choose to do modules from other departments as part of your course so they seem to be very flexible.

Is Manchester his first choice? DG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 6295
Teachers often say you can change course when you get to the university - unfortunately in my experience this is less and less likely - the reason a university offers an alternate course is that they do not think the candidate meets their requirements for the original course but that they have spaces on a less popular (or new) course. I would urge caution if that is his plan as it is far from guaranteed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am
Posts: 32
Location: North London
Daogroupie wrote:
At Manchester you can choose to do modules from other departments as part of your course so they seem to be very flexible.

Is Manchester his first choice? DG

Yes, it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am
Posts: 32
Location: North London
kenyancowgirl wrote:
Teachers often say you can change course when you get to the university - unfortunately in my experience this is less and less likely - the reason a university offers an alternate course is that they do not think the candidate meets their requirements for the original course but that they have spaces on a less popular (or new) course. I would urge caution if that is his plan as it is far from guaranteed.

Many thanks for your response.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 9681
Interested the Nottingham have offered Pol and IR - IR is often oversubscribed at Unis - used to be a great Politics dept when I worked at the Uni!
Just wondering - it looks like he has lost out on economics at 2 places - is he predicted a good enough maths grade?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am
Posts: 32
Location: North London
hermanmunster wrote:
Interested the Nottingham have offered Pol and IR - IR is often oversubscribed at Unis - used to be a great Politics dept when I worked at the Uni!
Just wondering - it looks like he has lost out on economics at 2 places - is he predicted a good enough maths grade?


He's studying Economics, English and Spanish (predicted AAB), and opted for Universities where A level maths is not a pre-requisite for joint Econs programmes. But it is possible that not having A level maths could be the reason.

Many thanks for your opinion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:44 am
Posts: 1823
Location: Reading
way, way back many centuries ago I switched course after the first term but I didn't go with that intention - I just wasn't enjoying the course.

The daughter of a friend switched course after 1 year at Liverpool - from psychology to marine biology. She is still there so it is a recent example.

In both cases we had the right/normal A levels for the course we switched to.
I guess it would be harder if he applied for a certain course but they didn't feel they could accept him on it, hence the alternative offer. It sounds like a risky strategy on that basis.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am
Posts: 32
Location: North London
Thanks for the insight, and taking the time to respond.

We may go with his preferred university rather than the course as DS's suggested career paths don't require specific degrees unlike say engineering or pharmacy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 9686
Location: Essex
Owass wrote:
Thanks for the insight, and taking the time to respond.

We may go with his preferred university rather than the course as DS's suggested career paths don't require specific degrees unlike say engineering or pharmacy.


When you say, we...

It is your DS who is going, isn't it? Or have you both / all applied?

However, even if a particular subject isn't required for an intended career path, as even degrees with the same name can differ - and can be very different - between institutions, he really does need to make sure that both course and university are a good fit for him personally.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020