Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:47 pm 

While I am grateful for all the high tech suggestions, I really only meant a physical hook thing, rather than a heated cabinet or similar. I don't think the university would allow it anyway and DD is very warm-blooded and definitely wouldn't want any kind of warming device. Just a rail that's all. But thank you all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:16 pm 

What about a thick wooden hanger [the sort with a horizontal bar for trousers] hanging from the wardrobe handle or the back of a chair?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:20 pm 

Guest55 wrote:
What about a thick wooden hanger [the sort with a horizontal bar for trousers] hanging from the wardrobe handle or the back of a chair?
That's a bit like the hook thingy I sent her with, yes. I think she is coping with it now but has to stand on tiptoe a bit. I just found this site. That's her Christmas present sorted :-)
http://www.romanathome.com/bathroom/bat ... ils-hooks/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:22 pm 

http://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/ho ... GwodOnEGpA

One of mine had something like this ( can't find the exact thing but this is the same idea).
There's also the idea of a 'ladder' leaning against the wall.
One DC had an ensuite and we tried suction accessories without much success.

We used to have an old fashioned free standing wooden towel rail in our guest room but that might require too much floor space?

Have you thought about a quick drying towel? Microfibre or hammam etc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:16 am 

KB wrote:
http://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/leaning-towel-rail?cr=fgl&gclid=CKvkkY6h0c8CFYydGwodOnEGpA

One of mine had something like this ( can't find the exact thing but this is the same idea).
There's also the idea of a 'ladder' leaning against the wall.
One DC had an ensuite and we tried suction accessories without much success.

We used to have an old fashioned free standing wooden towel rail in our guest room but that might require too much floor space?

Have you thought about a quick drying towel? Microfibre or hammam etc
That one looks good, thanks. I will ask her.
She has the quick drying towels for camping etc but I treated her to a nice soft funky one to add to the other nice soft funky one she already had before going. Some luxuries are needed!

Thanks all. Please don't let me dominate the thread any further with towel drying!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:22 pm 

Just one more :)
Browsing Lakeland for something unrelated cane across an over door clothes airer that hangs down quite a long way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:15 pm 

Gosh, having read the entirety of this thread, it strikes just how different student accommodation is between all the different universities. For instance, SteveDH says his dc has to pay for electricity separately. My dd's charges are all inclusive for everything, including wifi and insurance (within the confines of her room only). Even with dd's uni I noticed some accommodation was charged for 41 weeks and others for 43.

It would be helpful (but oh too easy, and hey, why make life easy!) if charges/facilities were standardised across all universities. It would be one less thing to have to compare when selecting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:34 pm 

Our experience is that even at a particular university there can be a myriad of options which mean different prices ( and levels of comfort or otherwise!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:41 pm 

KB wrote:
Our experience is that even at a particular university there can be a myriad of options which mean different prices ( and levels of comfort or otherwise!)

That would describe my DD's uni where every college has its own charges and rules.

My DD's is one of the most expensive as they have a 'Kitchen Fixed Charge' which really pushes the price up. Supposedly its there to help subsidise the 'buttery' (college canteen) although my DD rarely uses it. On the plus side all the Kitchens have ovens (or if not there is a nearby Kitchen which does) which is not always the case elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:48 pm 

See, I read that, Steve, and it sounds really scary/crazy. Why no oven in some places?

My dd's in one of the more expensive rooms (large room, double bed, desk, lots of shelving, wardrobe, ensuite. Communal kitchen/lounge which includes an oven, microwave and kettle. They also have cleaners once a week). From memory, as well as the sofas, there's a coffee table and tv). The charge includes all heating, gas, hot water, wifi and insurance (as before. There's no commuting as she's literally three minutes from campus. For that the charge is £125 per week for 43 weeks.

Now I don't know how comparable that is price wise with other places, and I know I thought it was expensive, but then I read about everyone else's experience and I'm beginning to think we've had it really lucky. Unless of course you all come on and tell me you're all being charged £50 a week, then I'll cry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next