Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:42 pm 
You are not alone! I am tearing my hair out over the lack of communication with my son about UCAS etc. I secretly emailed his UCAS tutor to give him a run down of what I thought I knew and he replied with what he knew. Something of a gap there. There have certainly been some misunderstandings which if I hadn't stepped in may not have been resolved in time.

Last term faced with a brick wall,I gave him a list of attainable Universities and the grades they required for his chosen subject (at least he knew what he wanted to do) I then sent off for prospectuses, most of which still lie unopened! I then booked an Open day visit to a fairly local Uni to try to get him in the right mode of thinking. You can imagine the reaction that got! However it was worth it as it suddenly opened his eyes to the future and he actually thanked me for organising it! He has now been to a few more and knows where he wants to go and also has an insurance place in mind.

In the past I've been very 'hands off' - my children stand or fall by their own efforts but there comes a time when you may have to step in. Sometimes you have to give them a nudge in the right direction - I'm on nudge phase two. These are momentous decisions for anyone to take and they may feel that they have to do it by themselves and are afraid to ask for help. However if you do step in you are interfering - classic no win situation !

Post subject: UCAS
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:55 pm 
The deadline for UCAS is January 15 2008,( its October 15 for those doing Oxbridge, medicine, vet science, dentistry.) and you can still apply for a late application after that. My son was also at a grammar school and not outstanding in any subjects, only(!)3As rest ,Bs Cs and even one D but got offered places at ALL his university choices and is now at Russell Group (top 20) University so don't despair, esp if not doing anything really popular and oversubscribed and hard to get in to, eg law, english, history. Grammar schools certainly make you feel very average when you are not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:59 pm 
PS If you go on the UCAS website you can access all the university websites and find out loads of info about what grades are needed etc. I think you will find he will be well qualified to apply to lots of places. Tell him that, he may be being worried by all the 'high flyers' at his school, who are applying for courses where three As are mandatory, there's lots of courses where the offers are much lower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:00 pm 
Oxbridge, med, vet and dental UCAS deadline today!

I also was not allowed any input but relieved to see it go on time.

It's as bad as 11+, and I thought we'd put all that behind us.

Can we have a UCAS rehab?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:05 pm 

Dear Guest6

You need to register first!...then get to the rehab section, someone will always be there for you. [mad as hatters though]

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:22 pm 
MUM3 wrote:
PS If you go on the UCAS website you can access all the university websites and find out loads of info about what grades are needed etc. I think you will find he will be well qualified to apply to lots of places. Tell him that, he may be being worried by all the 'high flyers' at his school, who are applying for courses where three As are mandatory, there's lots of courses where the offers are much lower.

Just seen this. My son got 6 A*s and 4 As at GCSE, and is well within the bottom half of his year group! He didn't even get a progress prize, but apparently that was good because they are for thick people who have done unexpectedly well in whatever exams they were doing. :(

I won't name the school!