Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm 

It's all going to be a bit of a guessing game with all the changes but probably fair to say that with demise of ASs there will be greater focus on GCSEs.
For anyone who feels they will perform better at A2 than GCSEs suggest it might be worth considering taking a year out and applying post A2 results.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm 

Amber wrote:
UCAS will have access to all grades whether or not he lists them I believe. Maybe via candidate numbers or something.

There are threads on TSR about Oxbridge and grades. I had heard you needed an A* to A ratio of 70:30 for Oxford and that Cambridge didn’t care as long as you got top AS grades. With AS gone I don’t know what they look at.

UCAS may or may not see all results anyway, but not listing one is seen as potential fraud. Possibly due to people more often 'forgetting' to list a D / E / U grade than genuinely missing off an A* ?

Lots of very helpful stuff over on TSR from their own 'regulars' (the grown-ups, section leaders etc) and from the various university Admissions Tutors who run 'Q&A' threads.

We apparently have a Higher Ed parents info evening tonight at DD's school (the invitation letter for which I discovered about an hour ago whilst rummaging around trying to find something which seemed to have disappeared in the migration to their new website :shock: ). I shall try to remember to ask about Cambridge if no-one else does. DD not applying but DS2 probably will in a couple of years' time. I do know that the university did try to encourage schools to continue to have students sit AS, but in our area, only DS2's still does, I think.