Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A level results 2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:25 am 

hermanmunster wrote:
Congrats to your DS Cuddlermum! Actually don't blame him, the Unis were updating track yesterday but it was locked to the students until about 07.30 this morning :wink:

That makes sense then, he hasn't let me see his track page, just said it says "confirmed". This is our first experience of university applications so not sure what to expect.

Congratulations to you DD Toadmum and thanks for your help with my past questions on uni's. Results here are also below predictions thanks to the college adding a grade to AS results to give A2 predictions, but we knew these were too high so pretty much disregarded them, not a helpful practice though, and DS has lots of disappointed friends having to rethink options at the moment.

Agree with mad? that A levels are only the beginning, but feel like as a parent, the main body of work re DC education has now been done, although I'm sure more experienced members will tell me otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:06 pm 

Cuddlermum wrote:
Agree with mad? that A levels are only the beginning, but feel like as a parent, the main body of work re DC education has now been done, although I'm sure more experienced members will tell me otherwise.

No, your feeling is correct, they really do need to manage themselves now, time to kick back and relax :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:11 pm 

mad? wrote:
Cuddlermum wrote:

No, your feeling is correct, they really do need to manage themselves now, time to kick back and relax :)

I agree - more of the practicalities of life like :

will it all fit in the car ?
No, you can't take all your teddy bears
What size bedding do you need?
Yes, this is a saucepan.
Try to have some money left at the end of the first month
Freshers week is just a week, not the whole semester
You might need a coat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:29 pm 

And..

"You could do some washing at university, rather than try to bring it all home on the train"

(one of mine did his washing, but then found that the dryer wouldn't dry it in time, so lugged home a suitcase of wet washing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 pm 

hermanmunster wrote:
mad? wrote:
Cuddlermum wrote:

Yes, this is a saucepan.
You might need a coat.

Fortunately, it snowed when DD was staying with her brother during February half term last year, so she knows that I'm not telling porkies about how cold it gets in the Frozen North (she has never lived anywhere other than south-east Essex) and I have her permission to dig out her old knee-length, waterproof, insulated coat - that she wore to school all of about half a dozen times - wash it and generally make it ready for its relocation to the Midlands :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:25 pm 

hermanmunster wrote:
mad? wrote:
Cuddlermum wrote:

Yes, this is a saucepan.
You might need a coat.

All of the above. Although, for the first time ever, I have this week been asked to proof read an essay (in the past if I'd accidentally wandered within 6 feet of an essay the result would have been much like getting between a bear cub and its mother). So now I'm proof reading essays for two people and they both think 11:30pm is about the right time to ask...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:43 pm 

mike1880 wrote:
All of the above. Although, for the first time ever, I have this week been asked to proof read an essay (in the past if I'd accidentally wandered within 6 feet of an essay the result would have been much like getting between a bear cub and its mother). So now I'm proof reading essays for two people and they both think 11:30pm is about the right time to ask...

Haha yes that happened to me, with the dissertation, despite having a degree half of which was in the same subject I could not understand a word of it, huge amounts of regression analysis and all very tiresome. I was of no use whatsoever, but it was (sort of) nice to be asked :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:07 pm 

I have to say, I hadn't realised quite what a sense of relief it would be to be finished with A levels finally (3 children). I do feel they can stand on their own two feet from now on, although, of course, we are there to support them. I hadn't expected this feeling of a weight off my shoulders!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:15 pm 

Get ready Scarymum, it was a shock to me as well and when they left I worried that I might feel bereft. But, despite a mountain of other 'caring duties' having landed on my plate I can safely say that the 'you're on your own now' feeling/life is really rather liberating! Term time holidays and only paying for 2 is a HUGE bonus!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:19 pm 

mad? wrote:
Get ready Scarymum, it was a shock to me as well and when they left I worried that I might feel bereft. But, despite a mountain of other 'caring duties' having landed on my plate I can safely say that the 'you're on your own now' feeling/life is really rather liberating! Term time holidays and only paying for 2 is a HUGE bonus!

Already planning - a big holiday booked plus a long weekend away in October. Also trying to squeeze in a week in the sun before winter sets in :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next