Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:58 pm 

Piggys, edexcel have now introduced 9-1 IGCSEs. These are supposed to be comparable to the new GCSEs. Have you taught these new courses? Do you know what’s changed?

Overall I doubt it has much impact on young people’s futures, as really it’s A Levels that count isn’t it? I have one at in year 10 at an independent where they do a mix of GCSE and IGCSE courses and one at a state grammar school. The independent school has better A Level results by far, so obviously the easier GCSEs don’t cause an issue further on down the line.

In terms of GCSEs we know that broadly the same percentage as previously are getting the C/A/A* equivalent grades - and I thought edexcel were applying that to the IGCSE too. If the content is easier then I gusss grade boundaries will be higher?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm 

The first cohort to sit the new GCSEs won’t be doing Alevels until 2020 any impact won’t be know until then at the earliest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:33 am 

International GCSE exams favoured by many private schools are easier than the reformed GCSEs, analysis by a think tank suggests.

Critics say that IGCSEs are not graded as severely, a theory backed in research by Education Datalab showing that it is easier to get an A* or A.

Last year 91 per cent of IGCSE entries in core subjects such as English, maths and the sciences were from independent schools. Critics said this was unfair because state schools were no longer allowed to offer them.................Datalab used a “comparator” using pupils’ results in other old-style GCSEs. It found that “more A*-A grades were awarded in IGCSEs in English language and maths than we might expect given the comparator based on other subjects” while “the equivalent grades in reformed GCSEs were broadly in line with expectations”.

For the full story you must subscribe to the The Times and The Sunday Times.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -7lxt7bpzr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:41 am 

[quote="crazycrofter"]Piggys, edexcel have now introduced 9-1 IGCSEs. These are supposed to be comparable to the new GCSEs. Have you taught these new courses? Do you know what’s changed?quote]

Yes and Yes.

What has changed is that SOME of the nature of questioning on the Eng lang paper now covers structure, perspective and so on, as it does in the 1 - 9 GCSE courses. In other words the skill set. However, given that the GCSE papers are ALL based on unseen material and the IGCSE is based almost entirely on a pre released board issued anthology of prose (for language) and poetry (for lit) which the students study in school from the beginning of Year 10, I hardly think it's a level playing field - do you? plus there is still a coursework option available for the lit IGCSE option. They have literally months to get their coursework 'just right'.

It's so laughingly ironic that Gove, in his rant against the state school GCSE system, banned coursework, pre-released material and also American lit( go figure...) in the English language and lit syllabuses and yet all three remain alive and kicking in the IGCSE papers. It actually makes me really furious. :x

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 pm 

crazycrofter wrote:
The independent school has better A Level results by far, so obviously the easier GCSEs don’t cause an issue further on down the line.

This is the bit that is concerning.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:55 pm 

bridge wrote:
crazycrofter wrote:
The independent school has better A Level results by far, so obviously the easier GCSEs don’t cause an issue further on down the line.

This is the bit that is concerning.

But they weren't the easier GCSEs at the time, or indeed the new harder A levels. Both have been introduced over the last 2 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:58 pm 

[/quote]
But they weren't the easier GCSEs at the time, or indeed the new harder A levels. Both have been introduced over the last 2 years.[/quote]

Sorry, my bad. Funny how your world only revolves around the stage you're at. I thought private schoold always chose the igcse!! Didn't even know A-Levels had become harder :o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm 

Yes, they have always done (some) iGCSEs. GCSEs changed a couple of years ago and are feeding through to the harder A levels. Any league tables will be mostly the old GCSEs and A levels. One of my DSs sat the first new A levels in June 2017. The first group to do the new GCSEs will be feeding through to the new A levels this sumner. None of the league tables are relevant to the new system yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 am 

The first group to do all the new GCSEs was last summer, June 2018, so they won't be doing A levels until 2020.

Current Y13 just did the new English and Maths GCSEs, all the rest were the old style GCSEs. DG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 am 

I was talking with a friend and her DC who is taking GCSE's this year at a private school a few days ago, having read this post and this is what the DC said:
That her school uses about 10 different exam bodies (he thinks the school picks the easiest ones) including a Scottish exam body despite the school being in England.
That almost all of his courses include coursework.
That they are able to do a lot of the coursework at home.
Doesn't sound very fair does it?