Go to navigation
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: GCSE 2020
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 am 

GCSE and A-level grading plan 'by Easter'

Quote:
Students understandably want reassurance, and teachers urgently need to know what to do, and when. We expect to publish detailed information about the process and timetable which will apply this summer next week. This will include the steps we would like teachers to follow and more detailed guidance on how to consider the full range of evidence they will have available when submitting their assessment grades. We are talking to teaching representatives to make sure that what we are planning is manageable and appropriate, so that students, parents, carers and teachers can have confidence in the approach.

We will outline by Easter the process we will follow to make sure grades are fair across schools and colleges, as well as our proposals for appeals. We will also say more as soon as possible about the arrangements for additional exams in the new academic year.

We want to reassure students waiting for news that we are doing everything we can to make sure they are not disadvantaged by these unprecedented circumstances.

Not sure how they are going to ensure the test results will be unbiased and comparable nationally.

It is unfortunate that the UK government and education system took this lightly in the beginning. There was ample time if they had started putting together a business continuity planning for a pandemic from Jan onwards when there were clear signs where the situation was heading to. The bravado has backfired and is impacting students badly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:40 pm 

test1 wrote:

It is unfortunate that the UK government and education system took this lightly in the beginning. There was ample time if they had started putting together a business continuity planning for a pandemic from Jan onwards when there were clear signs where the situation was heading to. The bravado has backfired and is impacting students badly.

And what would the business continuity plan comprise? How about in the second week of january telling all the GCSE and A level students that there exams would be "next week" ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:51 pm 

Schools were all prepared for exams to go ahead months before it happened
Invigilating timetables were drawn up in February and everything sorted.
They are still on hold in case things change.

It is a massive logistical task just to organise GCSEs, invigilators (including scribes and readers for some individual pupils), access arrangements. Timetabling, available rooms (some pupils with access arrangements need a room to themselves), rescheduling “normal” lessons around exams- even January would have been too late to do business continuity planning on top of this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 pm 

What could be the business continuity plan in these times of extreme uncertainty?

Only thing one could think about would be on lines of moving dates and keeping every one on standby. For example, instead of May, decide that first day of exam will be on xx Monday of xx month and would follow current format/timetable thereon. Don’t know how practical that would be.

Wuhan is now reopening, giving us some sense of time frame.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:45 pm 

My feeling is that schools like the NHS are already working at capacity.
I drive past schools at 7.30 or so each morning on my way to my nhs job and the car parks are almost full.
I’m sure SLTs didn’t have time to plan for this pandemic.
These are just exams. Just a snapshot of our children’s achievements.
One of my two almost certainly would have done better if the exams had gone ahead the other might not.
This is the biggest health crisis this country has faced since Spanish flu.
The GCSEs and a levels are not the most important thing that is happening.
There is no point criticising schools/ the government or any other organisation for the position we are in now.
Best to try and focus on things that really matter like how we are going to care for all the critically ill.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 pm 

[quote="tiffinboys”]

Wuhan is now reopening, giving us some sense of time frame.[/quote]

Not really - Wuhan had an even more extreme lockdown than in the UK, and they’ve just come through the first wave. I understood we would typically expect three waves of infections. Until there’s a treatment, vaccine or herd immunity we really can’t plan for something like national exams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:52 am 

Moon unit wrote:
My feeling is that schools like the NHS are already working at capacity.
I drive past schools at 7.30 or so each morning on my way to my nhs job and the car parks are almost full.
I’m sure SLTs didn’t have time to plan for this pandemic.
These are just exams. Just a snapshot of our children’s achievements.
One of my two almost certainly would have done better if the exams had gone ahead the other might not.
This is the biggest health crisis this country has faced since Spanish flu.
The GCSEs and a levels are not the most important thing that is happening.
There is no point criticising schools/ the government or any other organisation for the position we are in now.
Best to try and focus on things that really matter like how we are going to care for all the critically ill.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:33 am 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52086932

Consequence of ‘given Grades’?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 am 

tiffinboys wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52086932

Consequence of ‘given Grades’?

and limiting the choices of individual students.

Might be one of the most pertinent points - you can limit the numbers that universities with an excess of (suitable) applicants over places are allowed to take, but you cannot actually make students want to apply to, let alone attend, any specific university they don't want to go to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:56 am 

In the past, when there has been a cap, it hasn't meant that students cant go to the uni over the cap, just that the uni was not able to claim the tuition fees (ie were teaching them for free) - but unis could still get accommodation fees (the last time there was a cap was before the student started paying for everything!)

There will be an increase in unis offering financial deferrals.

I wondered if the limiting choices might suggest that students be asked to choose one, rather than a firm and insurance? At this point they have already all applied to 5 and many have got down to two, so I can't see how else choices could be limited.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next