Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:11 pm 

I have 2 friends whose sons in the Erith area did not get a place at Beth’s despite getting pass marks so they must have greater flexibility for local boys. Perhaps these boys have some additional needs which add to their case for a place under the local criteria.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm 

Boysgrammarmum wrote:
I have 2 friends whose sons in the Erith area did not get a place at Beth’s despite getting pass marks so they must have greater flexibility for local boys. Perhaps these boys have some additional needs which add to their case for a place under the local criteria.

Not under the current admissions policy. There is no priority for those who do not get the qualifying score but live closer (or at least last time I looked). As per my previous post I would assume these who got in with less than a pass were appeals (in which case yes they may have some very solid criteria meaning the school is right for them) rather than from the waiting list. You can of course be on both a waiting list and submit an appeal.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:25 am 

1 know 3 local boys that were given places in May, all of them were 2 marks below passmark. 2 at my child’s school and one at another. I think (but cannot be certain) that these weren’t on appeal. Even so looking at history of successful appeals over last 5 years what would the chances be that 3 children I know would all be successful? Slim, so I suspect that places are being given below passmark.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:38 am 

Something isn’t right then - either there has been a breach of the admissions by allowing three boys in under passmark and not someone who has passed but is further away or someone in this isn’t telling the full story. We don’t know for certain where the error lies. It isn’t unusual for parents to claim their child passed a test when in reality they didn’t, it also maybe that the boy living further away is happy with the offered school and didn’t go on wait list for Beths so another reason for no offer - we just don’t have all the facts. Hopeful’s info re the three boys though is a very compelling set of numbers to indicate offers have been made below pass mark. All very interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 am 

It is highly unlikely that a child from Erith who passed the Bexley test and put Beths as an option wouldn't get a place at Beths, especially given that the catchment area has historically been well over 5 miles. We live a similar distance out and got a place in the first round. I also suspect that the parents aren't telling the truth or at best exaggerating and the child passed the Kent test and not Bexley. I know of a child whose parent proudly announced on social media that they passed when they certainly didn't! If I wanted to be mean I would suggest looking at the FOI information on What Do You Know and see if you can work out how many boys from their primary school passed.