Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 am
Posts: 6
First post as we just started preparing for 2022 exams.

This year we found out, our bright neighbour missed Kendrick because of being in P2 catchment and one of our common friend’s said their child got into as they are in P1, which was way lower score. I’m talking 2022 entry so no clue of verified cutoff.

We are also hoping to apply for Henrietta Barnet, bcoz DD’s strong in English overall. She is currently at independent but we don’t want to continue with private as she is not into sports but music.

Would it be wise to sell the house and start to rent in P1 then buy close to whichever school we get into We will also trying for Slough schools.

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm
Posts: 6970
Location: Reading
I’m going to move you to the Berkshire forum where you’ll get more local advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm
Posts: 6970
Location: Reading
Several things to think about.

What are your alternatives if your DD doesn’t get into Kendrick? Look at other local schools and which ones you’d consider.

If you did move into P1, it would improve the odds of Kendrick, but if she didn’t get into Kendrick but did get into HBS, you’d have to move again.

The historic allocations data (for Kendrick and Slough) can be found at the top of the Berkshire forum which may help you. I think there’s possibly some hopeful info on last years allocations re P2 cutoff on the Kendrick allocations thread form last March. (I think the FOI is linked in there and that would allow you to work it out )

As the waiting list is worked, they go thorough all the P1 girls, before moving onto the P2 girls, so if a P2 girl doesn’t get a place on allocations day, it’s very unlikely they will ever get a place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:39 pm
Posts: 77
Kendrick and HBS are at two opposite extremes (Geography) to form a sound opinion to respond with. If 11+ numbers work out, you will have same advantages by being within catchment (actual or historical) of either school. Conversely, alternative 11+ outcome would be very disruptive if relocation has already happened, in my view.

_________________
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 am
Posts: 6
Tinkers wrote:
Several things to think about.

What are your alternatives if your DD doesn’t get into Kendrick? Look at other local schools and which ones you’d consider.

If you did move into P1, it would improve the odds of Kendrick, but if she didn’t get into Kendrick but did get into HBS, you’d have to move again.

The historic allocations data (for Kendrick and Slough) can be found at the top of the Berkshire forum which may help you. I think there’s possibly some hopeful info on last years allocations re P2 cutoff on the Kendrick allocations thread form last March. (I think the FOI is linked in there and that would allow you to work it out )

As the waiting list is worked, they go thorough all the P1 girls, before moving onto the P2 girls, so if a P2 girl doesn’t get a place on allocations day, it’s very unlikely they will ever get a place.


Thank you, Tinkers, good questions. Looking at data, P1 scores look possible today. But we have an year and if staying a mile out of P1 should we take our chances? I feel I’m not offering her best chance to succeed.

Other schools on list are Slough schools and then last option Abbey. We have a outstanding state in Wokingham, but again out of catchment and we won’t get a place there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 am
Posts: 6
2020D2022S wrote:
Kendrick and HBS are at two opposite extremes (Geography) to form a sound opinion to respond with. If 11+ numbers work out, you will have same advantages by being within catchment (actual or historical) of either school. Conversely, alternative 11+ outcome would be very disruptive if relocation has already happened, in my view.


I know, but we decided on them based on talking to friends/parents from these schools. Once we sell, we will rent inside P1 for Kendrick as that’s #1 on our list. P1 is only mile away from where we are so not as disruptive to the family.

P2 is super wide, what happened to my neighbour’s child has shocked us. We are just less than a mile out of P1, in new built.

HBS will be disruptive to the family of course. But that is better than sending her on coach to Slough schools for an hour, IMO.

Do you think there are other schools which we have missed? English is her strength.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm
Posts: 6970
Location: Reading
What are your other local school options? (You can PM if you don’t wish to say openly). I know parents with children in most of the secondaries around the Reading/Wokingham border, and some further afield.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:39 pm
Posts: 77
A similar situation from a few years back

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59460

_________________
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:14 am
Posts: 6
2020D2022S wrote:
A similar situation from a few years back

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59460


Thanks a lot!! Excellent thread! I think we need to visit schools and let DD get a feel for which school inspires her. I also agree with other poster that moving near HBS will cost same a private near Reading. So something to chew up in terms of numbers.

Thanks again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Posts: 1217
Don't take this personally, because I say this often to people who are thinking of moving house for grammar school.

In my view, you would be better off looking for one of the many brilliant comprehensives in an area you'd like to live and moving next door to it. Much less stressful for all concerned. You'll definitely get a place, assuming it admits on distance and isn't a faith school or similar, and you'll be at the centre of the school community.

The problem with moving for a grammar (as opposed to just including your local grammar in the mix of your options) is you introduce so many variables - what if we move before the exam and she doesn't pass, what if we try to move after and we can't, what if she passes and we move but her score's too low to get a place - and that's without thinking about the extra pressure on your daughter (not just a school place but a whole house move dependent on the result of a test!).

It's good that you're thinking ahead and best of luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2021