Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 pm 

Gosh 2girlsmum, that would be BRILLIANT if he didn't need nets! Because the Kent Test is changing this year in order to make it untutorable, I wondered if they might throw stuff in that they've never used before. Or is it GL policy that they just do GL stuff, do you think? Thanks for the tip about IPS. Will buy now! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:55 pm 

Like you fb, I don't know if gl will just stick to the 11 plus question types from their familiarisation papers or branch out. Gl has vast array of tests under their belts so they would not have a problem branching out. See their website - they are huge on testing. Puts cem in the shade.

I am sticking with getting through the 8 gl papers before may if I can. Then deciding on the plan of attack after that. I found peter Williams practise and pass a good leg up to the gl papers. We bought book 1 and 2 only for nvr and now on pack 2 of the gl papers. They are in blocks of 12 questions in 6 mins. We use stopwatch and guess and move on to keep to the time limit for each section. Then do corrections another day. Will repeat the gl papers if time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 pm 

I just looked at the GL assessment Official Parents' Guide to the 11+. It does give the already-known 8 types of NVR in an appendix at the back of the book. Could they really throw something new in, if this is their 'official' guide? What would be the point of producing such a guide if they were going to include other stuff?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, by the way!! :? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 pm 

fatbananas wrote:
So, DS got 82% in 1 hour, not the recommended 45 mins. He'd probably have made more mistakes if he'd rushed it a bit. I can't wait to see the format of the new Kent Test, to see if they are stopped and started at the end of each section, or whether they can just keep going through. I THINK, though not sure, that the KT used to stop and start DC at the end of each section?

When the time goes down, accuracy goes down as well. Last year, it was timed section 18 Q for every 10 mins & some of the questions were harder than GL. Not sure what they will come up this year but NVR is one topic that may ruin the day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:56 pm 

parent2013 wrote:
fatbananas wrote:
So, DS got 82% in 1 hour, not the recommended 45 mins. He'd probably have made more mistakes if he'd rushed it a bit. I can't wait to see the format of the new Kent Test, to see if they are stopped and started at the end of each section, or whether they can just keep going through. I THINK, though not sure, that the KT used to stop and start DC at the end of each section?

When the time goes down, accuracy goes down as well. Last year, it was timed section 18 Q for every 10 mins & some of the questions were harder than GL. Not sure what they will come up this year but NVR is one topic that may ruin the day.

Any tips to improve accuracy under timed conditions, Parent2013? :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:28 am 

fatbananas wrote:
I just looked at the GL assessment Official Parents' Guide to the 11+. It does give the already-known 8 types of NVR in an appendix at the back of the book. Could they really throw something new in, if this is their 'official' guide? What would be the point of producing such a guide if they were going to include other stuff?

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, by the way!! :? :shock:

Yes, I wondered that when I read that book. However, that guide was written before kent commissioned something a bit different from them for sept 2014. Also, the kent cc press release which came out after contract award time is careful not to use the words "non verbal reasoning" or "verbal reasoning" I think. Need to dig it out again but I think it just talked about a paper that would test "reasoning ability".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:31 am 

parent2013 wrote:
fatbananas wrote:

Was that the kent timing parent 2013? That is more generous timing than the gl familiarisation papers ( sections of 12 questions in 6 minutes).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:07 pm 

Yes, you're right Mystery:

Quote:
Children will not be expected to take separate practice papers – instead, practice exercises will be incorporated into the main papers.
There will be two main tests, one assessing reasoning ability and one assessing pupils’ attainment in literacy and numeracy. There will be scope to vary the exercises within the tests to keep the format fresh.

It talks of 'reasoning'. Also, I thought the fact that the practice exercises are incorporated into the main papers, suggests that it will be a bit like the GL papers available in shops, in that you have a couple of practice questions at the beginning of each section, followed by the real thing; which means it is likely to be timed sections. Boooooo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:43 am 

I wonder if timed sections is better? It helps the child manage the timing better perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 am 

Rationally, I'm sure that's right. But when DS is timed, accuracy goes straight out of the window. :(