Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:50 pm 

Oh dear - another parent here who really didn't want to be posting in this section :(

Daughter scored unexpectedly poorly on this year's Bucks 11+ (SRRS=114 (verbal=118, maths=109, non-verbal=113)).

Spoke to headmaster today - her rating was 1 & 1, and they are equally baffled by her result, and strongly supportive. She has a consistent track record with the school of high achievement over the years (we await the headmaster's form to be completed to view the strength of this for ourselves).

Despite the low score, we have decided to proceed to selection review (as opposed to waiting for appeal).

She also has relevant and substantive extenuating circumstances, which we are collecting documentation for.

If I have understood correctly, both parental AND headmaster forms need to have been received by the authority no later than 8th November - the primary school headteacher says he will be unable to complete the headmaster's form until after half-term (2nd half of term starts on 5th November!).

Have I understood the dates correctly and is this likely to pose an issue?

Of course, I would very much welcome any additional support or assistance in reviewing our documents prior to submission, if anyone would be generous enough with their time and knowledge to be able to assist/review/advise?

Many thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:16 pm 

Welcome, reluctant member! :)

Quote:
If I have understood correctly, both parental AND headmaster forms need to have been received by the authority no later than 8th November - the primary school headteacher says he will be unable to complete the headmaster's form until after half-term (2nd half of term starts on 5th November!).
If you received the result on 18th October, then 8th November is the deadline for your submission.

I wouldn't anticipate a problem with headteacher summary review sheet, although it's not my place to give a definitive answer. I would have thought the system could accommodate slight delays, especially if it's not your fault. There is a box you can tick on your form to confirm "I will forward the Headteacher’s Review Summary Sheet as soon as I have received it ".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 am 

thank you Etienne - i dont know if the headteacher fully understands the process, as he was stating that the headteacher information is all supplied online (and that the portal through which he would supply the info isnt even "live" yet) - i have no idea if this is true, nor indeed, whether this would mean that we would even get to actually see what he writes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 am 

Our headteacher has submitted his summary sheet online (he said it was the first year of doing that) and we received a pdf copy of it by email from Bucks CC. So the system is definitely live as he did this yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 am 

Thank you spin - that's definitely useful to know.

The issue with leaving him to submit online without having seen the fully completed form in advance of our own submission for selection review is that we won't necessarily have seen what he has written until we have submitted the parental form...especially if this is left until sometime after 2nd November.

We want to see the fully completed headteacher's form to assess whether there is anything on there that makes a "direct to appeal" approach a marginally better (or lesser of 2 evils!) option than selection review. We know he provided a rating of 1 & 1, but we want to see the exact text he uses in the other sections, especially the extenuating circumstances part.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:46 am 

Our head teacher said the same. She said our own submissions are also done online but we haven't done it yet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:53 pm 

kronenborg wrote:
thank you Etienne - i dont know if the headteacher fully understands the process, as he was stating that the headteacher information is all supplied online (and that the portal through which he would supply the info isnt even "live" yet) - i have no idea if this is true, nor indeed, whether this would mean that we would even get to actually see what he writes!
I'm sure you will see it, and, although a copy is retained by Admissions, I don't believe that it will be forwarded to the SRP without your consent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:27 pm 

thanks all - ok, so we've just come back from a meeting with the primary school again, and it seems they have rather altered their timelines! (for the better, thankfully).

they will indeed be submitting the headteacher's form online, and they have almost completed it, and plan to submit today (at which point, per spin's post, I believe we receive a pdf copy via email).

i am relieved to report that based on all the available information the school have at their disposal (the suitability & attitude scores - both scores of 1, the attainment scores across KS1, yr 3, yr 4 and yr 5 - all at greater depth than expected in all 3 domains, and the projected scores in all 3 domains for year 6 - all at the highest level, as well as some other test scores...something called "Puma" & "PiRA" maths & literacy scores, in which she scored at the top end of the highest band, and just a few marks off the maximum possible score), the school feel that on an academic basis, she is in the best possible position.

as i mentioned, we do also have an extenuating circumstance, which the school knew about in advance and support, and which will also be being further supported with evidence from an external expert.

we will also have to decide whether, on the parental form, we bring up the issue of disruption during the exam as a result of my daughter's school being one of those who categorically did not receive any warning about the 2 impossible questions, with students discovering this during the exam itself (and who were not given any extra time).

we are fully cognizant of the very slim chance of being successful on selection review, however do now feel we are best placed to submit our case.

wishing all in a similar situation the very best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:37 pm 

Good luck to you kronenborg,
I am in a similar situation. Our head also mentioned she would be doing it online and we would do our bit online. But now I am a bit confused about the process. I can't find any info on the Bucks CC websites about online forms for selection review. The head gave us some paper forms as well.

On the forms it says "Once complete, please return this form and your supporting evidence to (their postal ) OR http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/contactadmissions

Do you actually complete the paper form, scan, and attach it to the online form using the above link?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:02 pm 

sam2000 wrote:
Do you actually complete the paper form, scan, and attach it to the online form using the above link?

Well I figured it out finally. You need to click that link and navigate your way to an online form for selection review and then attached scanned copies of the form. :)