It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Non qualification
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:28 pm 

Thanks a lot Etienne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:03 pm 

Hamp

If you look at the front page of the 11 Appeals forum, at the top you will see a post / topic called "Feedback from All Areas" - at the bottom of page 16, there is a post from a parent who appealed for AGSB last year. Not the same circumstances, but that would be useful reading.

Just to be realistic, very few appeals are successful (I think that post says 6 out of 36 were successful last year). I am guessing that quite a few of those successful appeals will be out of catchment boys because the numbers of out of catchment places have gone down by such a lot.

The number of successful appeals from boys in catchment therefore that didn't get the qualifying score will probably be 2 or 3 out of 36 - maybe 5-10%. You will have to show VERY strong academic evidence to show why your son should be offered a place. It is always worth a shot but have a read of that post on appeals as I am sure it will offer some guidance. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:35 pm 

Hi Etienne

I got a support letter from school. It says about NFER scores in end of year five. That was in reading 124, writing GDS and mathematics 132. Can you please explain what they mean? Is that a good score? Moreover it says at present in writing it is EXS and projected SATs results in July will be GDS. Would this be good enough or it needs to be GDS now?
I am really worried now . I think we might not get through the appeal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 pm 

Mandy21 wrote:
Hamp

If you look at the front page of the 11 Appeals forum, at the top you will see a post / topic called "Feedback from All Areas" - at the bottom of page 16, there is a post from a parent who appealed for AGSB last year. Not the same circumstances, but that would be useful reading.

Just to be realistic, very few appeals are successful (I think that post says 6 out of 36 were successful last year). I am guessing that quite a few of those successful appeals will be out of catchment boys because the numbers of out of catchment places have gone down by such a lot.

The number of successful appeals from boys in catchment therefore that didn't get the qualifying score will probably be 2 or 3 out of 36 - maybe 5-10%. You will have to show VERY strong academic evidence to show why your son should be offered a place. It is always worth a shot but have a read of that post on appeals as I am sure it will offer some guidance. Good luck.

Thanks Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:23 pm 

hamp wrote:
Hi Etienne

I got a support letter from school. It says about NFER scores in end of year five. That was in reading 124, writing GDS and mathematics 132. Can you please explain what they mean? Is that a good score?

The NFER scores look all right to me, although some panels might like to see Reading a bit closer to the upper 120s. See:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b57

I think the scoring system for NFER is similar to that used in CATs. See B28 (c) - (d).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b28

Quote:
Moreover it says at present in writing it is EXS and projected SATs results in July will be GDS. Would this be good enough or it needs to be GDS now?
It would help if the school were to explain their reasoning behind the jump from EXS to GDS:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48
      Quote:
      If there is a sudden jump from EXS (expected level) in Y5 to a prediction of 111-120/greater depth at KS2, this needs explaining (e.g. “greater maturity,” “recent rapid progress”.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:29 pm 

Etienne wrote:
hamp wrote:
Hi Etienne

I got a support letter from school. It says about NFER scores in end of year five. That was in reading 124, writing GDS and mathematics 132. Can you please explain what they mean? Is that a good score?

The NFER scores look all right to me, although some panels might like to see Reading a bit closer to the upper 120s. See:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b57

I think the scoring system for NFER is similar to that used in CATs. See B28 (c) - (d).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b28

Quote:
Moreover it says at present in writing it is EXS and projected SATs results in July will be GDS. Would this be good enough or it needs to be GDS now?
It would help if the school were to explain their reasoning behind the jump from EXS to GDS:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48
      Quote:
      If there is a sudden jump from EXS (expected level) in Y5 to a prediction of 111-120/greater depth at KS2, this needs explaining (e.g. “greater maturity,” “recent rapid progress”.)

Hi Etienne
At the end of year 5 it was GDS as per year 5 curriculum (July 2019). Now in December 2019 EXS. But by July 2020 they think he will achieve GDS again. December 2019 SATS reading 114, Maths 116. but by July 2020 SATS it is all predicted at GDS

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:39 pm 

Hi Etienne
Please can you explain or guide me what point I should put forward in terms prejudice admitting an extra child will cause less space and unable for the school providing extra education. School says they can only accommodate 29 children in the classroom. Please advise.

Thanks
Hamp

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:07 am 

You counter the school's case for prejudice by putting forward reasons why you want or need a place at this particular school.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2
This is an essential part of your case.

In addition, you might query arguments in the school case.
Quote:
School says they can only accommodate 29 children in the classroom. Please advise.
Have they provided evidence to support this statement, for example the size of each general purpose teaching room? Current building regulations recommend 55 square metres, but this would be the ideal figure for 30 pupils (if the school is being built now).
Academies are no longer required to have a net capacity assessment, but the figure used for this by the DfE is 49 square metres for 30 pupils. I'd wager a bet that the school is using the ideal figure of 55 square metres.
If they haven't provided all the room sizes as evidence, it's difficult to have a clear view of their accommodation. Some academy cases just refer vaguely to "current building regulations" as if that alone proves their case!

Secondly, have they provided you with the total number of pupils on roll in each year (Y7 - Y11)?
If any of these years is above the admission number, you could query what hard evidence they have to demonstrate that this caused prejudice.
See: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:24 pm 

Hi Everyone
Finally I received the appeal outcome letter for AGSB on Friday and we won our case . I am so glad and top of the mountain. Really pleased with it. I am ever so thankful to this forum and everyone who helped me out here is great. I will put my letters of the case soon. I never done anything like that . I started working on this from last october. Our bad time started fro July last year and ended in this year June. 11 months of hard work paid off. I would say to anyone who is appealing it is very important that you evidence every word you say or write. Evidence Evidence Evidence should be your Mantra I think.

Special Thanks to Etienne . You are star support.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:02 pm 

Dear Members of the appeal panel at school

We would be grateful if you would consider the following reasons for appeal for our son DD to gain a place in year 7 at AGSB
I would like argue how my case outweighs school case by 3 main arguments .
1. Academic evidence
2. Extenuating circumstances
3. Prejudice against school community

Academic Evidence 
Attained 333 in the entrance exam which is 1 mark off the qualifying mark (334)
“Very strongly” supported by the headteacher
High grades of achievement in mock SATs:

Reading – 114/120 (Dec-2019). Due to COVID-19 March 2020 reading test hasn’t been completed
Mathematics – 120/120 (Mar-2020) This is 100%
Writing – GDS (mentioned in school report)
Achieving above expected national average in every subject for Year 5
Excellent year 5 school report
Achieved the following NFER standardised scores:
Reading - 124
Mathematics – 132
Writing – GDS (mentioned in school report)
Passed for Stretford Grammar school
Top group for Maths and English from Key Stage 1 until present in 90 children year cohort
A well-rounded character who is sociable and actively participates in all sports. Also evidenced by playing for Cheshire County Cricket Club for the under 11 team last season.
Achieved Merit grade in Level 2 in Vocal music from the Oriental Fine Arts Academy London (OFAAL)
Learning another language as his second language at year 4 level now. 2019 certificate not received due to COVID-19
School council representative and recently awarded Positive learner award

Extenuating Circumstances 
DD's Grandfather, who is my father, died on the end of July and I had to leave to abroad for the funeral rituals which lasted for 13 days as per the our religion. DD is very close to his grandfather and was very upset by the loss. We as a family were very much in shock from losing my dad. I came back on the 13th August and I was bereaved and grieved. DD was also in the same boat and his preparation for the exam was inevitably hindered. Moreover, another big shock was waiting for us. We had our very close family friend Mr MM whom we’ve known for 9 years get diagnosed with terminal lung cancer giving him only a few months to live; he was like a “local grandfather” for DD He took genuine interest in the day-to-day life of DD. He was single and had no family, we considered him as our family member. He had been admitted in the hospital a few times and it was very traumatic to all of us especially for DD. He deteriorated throughout August and September, and sadly passed away in beginning October. DD not only lost his biological grandfather but also lost his local grandfather within the span of 2 months. The fear of losing Mr MM from August up to the exam and beyond was too much to handle for DD and for the whole family.
You can see that his performance went down in September 2019 compared to July 2019 and it came back up in December as per deputy head teacher support letter.
Another fact must be that this was DD's first exam and the nerves could have contributed to why DD missed out by only ONE MARK.
We didn't give the special circumstances form before the exam because I was under severe stress and bereaved and so the thought never crossed my mind. After discussions with the head teacher I realised that this was indeed an extreme situation which might have contributed to DD missing out by ONE MARK.

I would to like to argue against prejudice against the school community:
As per the schools admission assistant's email – In 2018 the PAN was 173 and total admissions was 178, in 2019 the PAN was 173 and the school took on 187 pupils. As you can see the school has some kind of leeway in taking on an excess of students.
This is also backed by the GOV.CO.UK statistics which states a capacity of 1231 and a number of pupils of 1285.
To further support this point the school is currently ongoing a £3million expansion which will see 9 new classrooms and a library which will increase the school's capacity beyond the 202 stated by the school
Other reasons:
DD's brother SS also studied in AGSB from year 7 to Year 13 and achieved all A's in his A level. He is successful and on industrial placement at famous Banking Group in London. So I am an experienced parent, who understands the ethos of school.
The school has excellent Music department which will enhance DD's interest in vocal music which he is already keen in learning. The school offers very good range of languages not only modern languages but traditional language like Latin and upcoming languages like Chinese and Russian. DD is very good in languages and he is already learning another language. Schools Science department is one of the best around here and provides opportunity to learn Astro Physics, Geology and Economics which DD is very much interested.
To summarise we believe that DD is an Altrincham Grammar School candidate and the structure and ethos of the school will provide him with the best possible opportunities. DD is a child who is responsible in his attitude, has a love of learning and is respectful to others which meets the AGSB core values.
The above outlined reasons provide an adequate explanation as to why he fell short by ONLY ONE MARK. We strongly feel that one mark on one exam shouldn't be the deciding factor in the Child's next 7 years of study. This definitely outweighs the admission authority's case.
Thank you all for the time you have taken to consider DD's appeal application.

Evidence Attached
1. Head Teacher Support Letter
2. Piece Of Creative Writing
3. Year 5 School Report
4. Stretford School result
5. Vocal certificate
6. Language exam certificate
7. Positive learner and school council representative certificate
8. GP letter
9. My Father's Death Certificate
10. My sick note
11. Mr MM Death certificate
12. My flight tickets
13. Cheshire County Cricket Club Email confirmation
14. Confirmation email from AGSB about admitted pupils in previous years
15. SS A level certificate from AGSB

Thank you for taking the time to consider for the appeal,
Yours Sincerely,
Hamp

Questions asked by Panel members
Which school is been allocated?
Any other school did he pass?
Have you been to school's open day?
What was the feeling OF DD after the exam?
Did he say anything specific about any subjects in the exam?
Did he have any mock tests?