It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Non qualification
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:28 pm 

Thanks a lot Etienne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:03 pm 

Hamp

If you look at the front page of the 11 Appeals forum, at the top you will see a post / topic called "Feedback from All Areas" - at the bottom of page 16, there is a post from a parent who appealed for AGSB last year. Not the same circumstances, but that would be useful reading.

Just to be realistic, very few appeals are successful (I think that post says 6 out of 36 were successful last year). I am guessing that quite a few of those successful appeals will be out of catchment boys because the numbers of out of catchment places have gone down by such a lot.

The number of successful appeals from boys in catchment therefore that didn't get the qualifying score will probably be 2 or 3 out of 36 - maybe 5-10%. You will have to show VERY strong academic evidence to show why your son should be offered a place. It is always worth a shot but have a read of that post on appeals as I am sure it will offer some guidance. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:35 pm 

Hi Etienne

I got a support letter from school. It says about NFER scores in end of year five. That was in reading 124, writing GDS and mathematics 132. Can you please explain what they mean? Is that a good score? Moreover it says at present in writing it is EXS and projected SATs results in July will be GDS. Would this be good enough or it needs to be GDS now?
I am really worried now . I think we might not get through the appeal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 pm 

Mandy21 wrote:
Hamp

If you look at the front page of the 11 Appeals forum, at the top you will see a post / topic called "Feedback from All Areas" - at the bottom of page 16, there is a post from a parent who appealed for AGSB last year. Not the same circumstances, but that would be useful reading.

Just to be realistic, very few appeals are successful (I think that post says 6 out of 36 were successful last year). I am guessing that quite a few of those successful appeals will be out of catchment boys because the numbers of out of catchment places have gone down by such a lot.

The number of successful appeals from boys in catchment therefore that didn't get the qualifying score will probably be 2 or 3 out of 36 - maybe 5-10%. You will have to show VERY strong academic evidence to show why your son should be offered a place. It is always worth a shot but have a read of that post on appeals as I am sure it will offer some guidance. Good luck.

Thanks Mandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:23 pm 

hamp wrote:
Hi Etienne

I got a support letter from school. It says about NFER scores in end of year five. That was in reading 124, writing GDS and mathematics 132. Can you please explain what they mean? Is that a good score?

The NFER scores look all right to me, although some panels might like to see Reading a bit closer to the upper 120s. See:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b57

I think the scoring system for NFER is similar to that used in CATs. See B28 (c) - (d).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b28

Quote:
Moreover it says at present in writing it is EXS and projected SATs results in July will be GDS. Would this be good enough or it needs to be GDS now?
It would help if the school were to explain their reasoning behind the jump from EXS to GDS:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48
      Quote:
      If there is a sudden jump from EXS (expected level) in Y5 to a prediction of 111-120/greater depth at KS2, this needs explaining (e.g. “greater maturity,” “recent rapid progress”.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:29 pm 

Etienne wrote:
hamp wrote:
Hi Etienne

I got a support letter from school. It says about NFER scores in end of year five. That was in reading 124, writing GDS and mathematics 132. Can you please explain what they mean? Is that a good score?

The NFER scores look all right to me, although some panels might like to see Reading a bit closer to the upper 120s. See:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b57

I think the scoring system for NFER is similar to that used in CATs. See B28 (c) - (d).
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b28

Quote:
Moreover it says at present in writing it is EXS and projected SATs results in July will be GDS. Would this be good enough or it needs to be GDS now?
It would help if the school were to explain their reasoning behind the jump from EXS to GDS:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48
      Quote:
      If there is a sudden jump from EXS (expected level) in Y5 to a prediction of 111-120/greater depth at KS2, this needs explaining (e.g. “greater maturity,” “recent rapid progress”.)

Hi Etienne
At the end of year 5 it was GDS as per year 5 curriculum (July 2019). Now in December 2019 EXS. But by July 2020 they think he will achieve GDS again. December 2019 SATS reading 114, Maths 116. but by July 2020 SATS it is all predicted at GDS