Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Our 11+ journey
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 pm 

Quote:
As he wants to be an equine vet he will need the top grades and I shall focus my time on thorough research for each school. With regard to this, one of the schools does have it’s own pony club, with 9 ponies that belong to the school. This is my son’s school of choice, because of the equestrian link. Would you recommend this as a reason for choosing the school even though it is not an academic reason. I could link it to his equestrian vet ambitions!
Yes.
One of the best cases we've had on here was dejavu's:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... -school#c2
Scroll down to Example C.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 pm 

As the deadline for review draws nearer I feel more panicky about waiting for appeal! Although I know our sons
chance at review is very low with his HT rating and STT score - even though I think the academic evidence is good and the HT did say he no longer had a reservation. See I change my mind in one sentence!

I know if we wait for appeal we need to provide a strong and solid case for our son attending that particular grammar school. In what circumstances are children put on a waiting list? Does the appeal panel ever agree that a child is deemed qualified for grammar school but the school cannot give a place? Or if the school cannot give a place then the appeal is automatically unsuccessful?

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:48 pm 

Quote:
Does the appeal panel ever agree that a child is deemed qualified for grammar school but the school cannot give a place?
It can happen that the panel decides that the child should be deemed qualified, but does not accept that the reasons for wanting a place are sufficient to outweigh the prejudice to the school of admitting an extra pupil. In this situation, the appeal is unsuccessful, but the child can go on the waiting list for the school in question.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:58 pm 

Ok, thanks so much for your help. Honestly, it helps maintain my mental health.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 pm 

You need nerves of steel to cope with this system ....... :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:45 am 

Seems an age since I last posted on here. I feel so much calmer about the whole process and actually cringe at some parts of my original post! Anyhow, we didn’t go for a selection review which I feel was the best decision given our circumstances. Not hopeful for an appeal having read lots of posts on here, however I feel genuinely accepting of this and just have to give it a go. Moving forward we have decided to get an educational psychologists report. I know you cannot give personal recommendations, and excuse my ignorance, but are there EP’s that are more accustomed to writing the report for 11+ appeal purposes than others? Or is the report standardised and therefore it makes no difference who completes it? Would it be acceptable, if the EP felt it was the case, to ask them to state that a grammar school would be the most suitable environment for our son in the report?
Thank you in advance and congratulations to all those who have been successful at SR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:09 am 

Darewehope wrote:
Seems an age since I last posted on here. I feel so much calmer about the whole process and actually cringe at some parts of my original post! Anyhow, we didn’t go for a selection review which I feel was the best decision given our circumstances. Not hopeful for an appeal having read lots of posts on here, however I feel genuinely accepting of this and just have to give it a go. Moving forward we have decided to get an educational psychologists report. I know you cannot give personal recommendations, and excuse my ignorance, but are there EP’s that are more accustomed to writing the report for 11+ appeal purposes than others? Or is the report standardised and therefore it makes no difference who completes it? Would it be acceptable, if the EP felt it was the case, to ask them to state that a grammar school would be the most suitable environment for our son in the report?
Thank you in advance and congratulations to all those who have been successful at SR

I think I might be able to help. Will pm you. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 pm 

Darewehope wrote:
are there EP’s that are more accustomed to writing the report for 11+ appeal purposes than others? Or is the report standardised and therefore it makes no difference who completes it?
As you live in an area with selective education, I think local EPs will be familiar with the sort of request you're making.
The tests are standard, but the introduction will usually explain why the report has been requested.

Typical sort of format would be:
      child's background
      reasons for testing
      explanation of tests
      detailed results
      interpretation of results
      recommendations (if appropriate, e.g. to deal with any special needs)

Quote:
Would it be acceptable, if the EP felt it was the case, to ask them to state that a grammar school would be the most suitable environment for our son in the report?
Yes. If the purpose of the report is clear from the very beginning, one would expect a comment on suitability in the interpretation of the results at the end.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:08 pm 

Thank you so much Weakandwobbly and Etienne, you have both been so helpful