Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:20 pm 

Thanks very much Etienne,

So I guess what you are saying is the head is going to report all scores anyway and the average of 120 in year 5 could make the selection panel think he isn't qualified or that the CATs are not a reliable indicator? That's bad news but there is nothing we can do about it I guess. For now I would just hope that they would give more weight to the more recent results. I guess they don't have any guidelines as to if they should give more weight to the latest scores? Is it all down to how the members of that particular panel view this I guess?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:42 pm 

sam2000 wrote:
Thanks very much Etienne,
So I guess what you are saying is the head is going to report all scores anyway
.... should be reporting ......

Quote:
and the average of 120 in year 5 could make the selection panel think he isn't qualified or that the CATs are not a reliable indicator?
The more recent score of 125 could be seen to outweigh the Y5 result - but yes, another interpretation might be that it would be safer to draw no firm conclusions from inconsistent results.

Quote:
I guess they don't have any guidelines as to if they should give more weight to the latest scores? Is it all down to how the members of that particular panel view this I guess?
As far as we know it's up to the individual panel. We've not seen any guidelines - which rather begs the question:
how can the process be 'fair, consistent and objective' ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:27 pm 

Thanks so much Etienne,
We got the copy of HT's summary today. She used the words "very strongly recommended " with a rating of 1:1

In year 3 and year 4 he was only GDS in reading. He had EXS in math and writing.
in year 5 he has GDS for all three. and predicted performance is 110-120, 110-120, GDS
his CATs average were 119, 120 and 125 for Y4, Y5 and Y6

Is the panel likely to take the view that he was progressing gradually from Y3 to Y6?

The head teacher has written only a few sentences but she has given a strong backing saying he fully expected him to pass and his academic records are excellent. The rest of the section is written by his class teacher who also gave a very strong recommendation. It all looks good to me but would the panel accept the class teachers comments in the Head teacher's summary sheet? I hope they would!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:18 am 

sam2000 wrote:
In year 3 and year 4 he was only GDS in reading. He had EXS in math and writing.
in year 5 he has GDS for all three. and predicted performance is 110-120, 110-120, GDS
his CATs average were 119, 120 and 125 for Y4, Y5 and Y6
Is the panel likely to take the view that he was progressing gradually from Y3 to Y6?
It's possible. :)
I would suggest pro-actively arguing this point:
He has really flourished during his time at the school, and has been on an upward curve as can be seen from the steady improvement to GDS across the board by the time of Y5.
KS2 predictions show that he is maintaining this standard.
At the same time it is interesting to note the steady rise in his CAT scores: from 119 to 120 and then 125 in Y4-Y6.

Quote:
The rest of the section is written by his class teacher who also gave a very strong recommendation. It all looks good to me but would the panel accept the class teachers comments in the Head teacher's summary sheet? I hope they would!
I think so. It was clearly done with the head's approval.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 am 

Thanks so much Etienne,
Unfortunately this question came to mind only after I submitted it online. Now I feel so bad about not asking you this earlier. I don’t think there is a way to add anything at this point? May be I can make another submission just with this extra point quoting the reference number they gave me for the first one but I don’t know if they might find this annoying and make things more complicated?. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 am 

caveat: i am not an expert on this stuff, and am learning about this as i go myself but i really don't think resubmitting another, amended, selection review is a good idea - i think this has the potential to do more harm than good.

if i were you, i would try and forget about it until early February now - you have done your best, and i don't think the amends you are thinking about are likely to make any material difference to the outcome.

try to forget it now, and relax!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:35 pm 

Thanks very much kronenborg,
I think you are right. I was thinking that same actually. Sending another one can only mess things up I guess. I am also hoping that shouldn't make any difference. As you say we have done what we could so we should relax and be ready for any outcome I guess.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:07 pm 

We got the result today. It is a great relief to lean our son can go to grammar school.

Etienne, I can't thank you enough. your advice and guidance has been extremely helpful - not only the direct communication and answers you have given but also all the highly valuable information you have written here and your answers to other people. Thank you so much. I am sure you are earning tons of good Karma for all this good work and your kindness :D

also thank you to all the fellow parents who have been so supportive and kind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:15 pm 

Great news and congratulations! Good luck to everyone else :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:19 pm 

mad? wrote:
Great news and congratulations! Good luck to everyone else :D

Thank you mad?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next