Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:38 pm 

Thanks kronenborg,
That is very reassuring. Now we have done our part. Let's keep our fingers crossed :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:25 am 

So this will be my last post on the subject till we get the outcome of selection reviews, but being the obsessive I am, I went through last year’s data to see how those with the same 11+ score did on selection review.

Looking at those with 114, and a 1, 1 rating from their headteacher (although there is no visibility over extenuating circumstances) there was a little below 50% success rate at selection review.

Of course this is a sub group of a sub group, and the numbers are small, so of limited meaning, but it does provide a little more than a glimmer of hope.

Now to put it all out of my mind till February!

Good luck all!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:55 am 

Thanks kronenborg,
Can you tell me where you found this Statistics?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:05 am 

i was tempted not to tell you, as i don't think it's healthy to be as obsessive as i am!

i expect you would have found it anyway, though, so here it is: https://8f6eac0f-d266-4f1b-9e95-3d6a68781a5b.filesusr.com/ugd/ab3fe9_1a3a736ece5844fd9db55b31495620dc.pdf

the stats would likely be significantly better for someone with a score of 119 and 1, 1 - so without wishing to unduly raise hopes, you are in with an even better shout!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:21 am 

Thanks very much kronenborg,
I can't help being obsessive as well :)
While the score is close, we don't have any strong extenuating circumstances so I know I shouldn't have high hopes I guess. Good luck to you me and all the other parents going through this horrible process! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:29 am 

well, if it makes you feel better, who knows what the panel will consider as "strong extenuating circumstances"!

we have extenuating circumstances, but even with the case we have made, and the supporting evidence we have provided, whether the panel will view it as relevant or significant enough to sway their opinion is anybody's guess - in fact, in the worst scenario, they may consider it counts against a positive outcome, rather than supporting it - we simply don't know.

all you can do is be honest, and put the best case forward. I'm sure the panel are used to seeing parents throw everything but the kitchen sink at the extenuating circumstances section - and I suspect many of these will be so flimsy and frankly suspicious, that they certainly won't help those parents' cases.

as etienne and others keep saying, its the academic component that is the most important, and i think you are on strong ground there, along with the score you are starting with.

so fingers crossed, and hope for a following wind!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:33 pm 

Thanks very much kronenborg, It does make me feel a bit better but as you say we never know how the panel would view our cases so I feel a mixture hope and fear and it will probably be like this until January I guess. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:41 am 

Good luck. I was in your position last year. I didn't sleep properly until the results and spent the entire time worrying. But the main thing I did during the wait was to reassure my DC about the future. He was badly shaken by his "failure" and really down about himself.
I told him that we were likely to be unsuccessful with the review but focussed on the good things about our local school, and secretly planned what my next steps would be for appeal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:00 am 

Deb70 wrote:
Good luck. I was in your position last year. I didn't sleep properly until the results and spent the entire time worrying. But the main thing I did during the wait was to reassure my DC about the future. He was badly shaken by his "failure" and really down about himself.
I told him that we were likely to be unsuccessful with the review but focussed on the good things about our local school, and secretly planned what my next steps would be for appeal.
Very good advice! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 am 

Yes that is good advice. Good luck to both of you, it's great to see you both being so supportive of each other, silver linings/clouds etc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next