Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:40 am 

So we had our second appeal and again we were unsuccessful.
We were turned down this time due to the panels misunderstanding of our dc’s year 6 report which formed part of our second evidence file but was not discussed or asked questions about at our hearing.
Our primary school put down the scaled scores for the sats subjects and if they are over 100 by any amount then they will be reported as ‘achieved expected standard’ they do not report ‘greater depth’ for year 6 sats. My dc’s scores were all 111-120 and I wrongly presumed that the panel would would know what these numbers meant and see that dc is working at greater depth from the scaled scores and the letter from his teacher saying that he was greater depth on all subjects.
They concluded that there was no evidence of dc working at greater depth for any subjects and dismissed our appeal.
If anyone is planning on going down the path of appeal don't presume that the panel will understand the sats scaled scores, it could be your downfall as it has been ours.
Anyway, I give up now. I don't see how anyone can win in our area, there will always be a reason to say no however strong your case is.
Thankyou to everyone that gave support and advice, it was very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:22 pm 

Redd wrote:
My dc’s scores were all 111-120 and I wrongly presumed that the panel would would know what these numbers meant and see that dc is working at greater depth from the scaled scores and the letter from his teacher saying that he was greater depth on all subjects.
They concluded that there was no evidence of dc working at greater depth for any subjects and dismissed our appeal.

But that's outrageous! I don't understand how that could be allowed to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:47 pm 

I'm sorry to hear about this latest blow and agree that it is a shocker that the SATs results were not understood.

Are there any more actions you can explore or have you had enough? I don't blame you - appeals are consuming and exhausting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:15 pm 

Dear Reds,
I can imagine how painful this is.
If I were you, I will surely contact the clerk explaining that your appeal decision letter has incorrect information. I would also get a letter from school ASAP confirming that those your child’s results are of greater depth and maybe clarifying their original letter in more details.
I would explain in my letter to the clerk that I am enclosing not the additional evidence but a proof that their decision was based on the incorrectly perceived information.
You are not loosing anything by responding back to them.
Maybe, on the basis of this they can organise another appeal hearing.
I know that at the moment it feels like you want to give up but you can’t accept what they have done because it’s not right.