Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:17 pm 

That looks like a very old thread?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:34 pm 

Bepositive2life wrote:
Yes scary mum, we thought about it while filling the CAF.

But as per the following thread:

viewtopic.php?t=739

The admission procedure seems to be quite different between Berks and Bucks. Just as the thread said, we thought it was fine to put Bucks choices first and then the Berks choice.

The absolutely clear and correct post in all the confusion of that thread is Patricia's:

Dear Julia 

The common application form [ CAF ] is completed and sent to the council that YOUR CHILD resides in. 

The two coucils will share information. All queries should be directed to the 'home' council. 

Patricia

It is just a part of the information that each local authority posts on its website and puts into print in its composite prospectus, if it also publishes a paper version. Along with advice about putting schools in your true order of preference etc and, often, worked examples of how to do it. Essex, for example, does this and then lists further details pertinent to the process actually under the heading, Essential information for parents. LAs also often ask parents to agree that they have read all the attendant information, before 'Submit' can be pressed at the end of the CAF...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:00 pm 

Now I’m back home and can see properly.
The thread you quoted dates back to 2006. I think the equal preference system was in place then, but in its early days, so still some confusion with some people how it works.

As others have said, you needed to put the schools in your genuine order of preference on the CAF.
Since it sounds like you are very likely to get one of the Bucks schools you e put first/second, you are not going to get rejected by Herschel so won’t be able to appeal on allocations day.

In addition, I’ve also don’t remember there being any successful appeals for Slough schools mentioned on the forum in my years on here (there may have been some, but not mentioned on here), so even if you were in a position to appeal, you would still need to be realistic about your chances of success at appeal anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:05 pm 

All local authorities operate in the same way using the equal preference scheme. You always apply to your local authority regardless of which schools you are applying to.
Here is where it is explained on the Slough website.
I would advise calling them. You may be able to change your preferences but would be a late applicant and given that your daughter didn't qualify and few appeals seem to get through in Slough, you should probably just be happy with a place at BGS or BHS, both of which are excellent schools.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:34 pm 

Hi Bepositive.

A few things to note; if you have put the Bucks grammars above Hershel you won’t be able to go on the HGS waiting list as once you have been offered a place, all the lower schools are discarded. However if you’re turned down from all three grammars and offered TLA or Ditton , you can then appeal for Hershel (or BH or BGS).
However, the others are right in that there are virtually no successful appeals in Slough because there are so many more successful over-111 pupils than places. I believe there were over 400 appeals last year..... so it’s completely different to Bucks appeals in terms of numbers.

However: if you have put Langley Academy and Ditton Park, I am guessing you live somewhere in Langley (ish ) rather than Bucks. Becky High had only one year in the last 5 years where their allocation distance went out to Langley: that was sept 2017 entry: one of my DD’s friends got to Becky High to my surprise, and 4 others from our primary school including my DD went to BGS that year. Even BGS is not guaranteed from Langley: last year they had a very tight 3 mile allocation and most Langley addresses are 5 miles from BGS on the distance calculator. However if you do get BGS for your daughter the travel options are much simpler now Crossrail is running and all trains from Langley to Burnham are direct in 7-8 minutes, there’s also an (expensive) Apple Travel bus, and the slow but sure (if there are spare spaces) Bucks school bus goes from Sutton Lane.

PM me if your daughter gets BGs and you want to ask anything. DD1 is year 9 and very happy (DD2 is at Langley Academy and equally happy)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:27 am 

Thanks everyone.

Yes, Aethel. I will PM you for details after the allocation day. After this discussion I feel, as long as she can commute on her own and if she is comfortable & happy there, BGS also sounds to be a good and sensible choice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:20 am 

Good luck with it!

As an aside, if you’re wanting independent travel for your DD then I hope you do get BGs rather than Becky High: the non car travel options to Becky High from Langley are exceedingly limited. There is no public transport at all as the trains are on different lines, and no public buses, my DD1’s friend who goes there spends over an hour on the single school stopping bus to get home each day, and it totally rules out any afterschool clubs (which Becky High has a lot of) unless you’re happy to drive to get her every single time. The BGS langley-slough-burnham trains are now every 15 minutes at peak times so an afterschool club just means getting a slightly later train (it works best with a “travel buddy” in the first year or two, and the Life360 tracker app is also very useful to track where they are on the journey home)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:47 am 

Thanks, Aethel. That's useful info.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 am 

Aethel, does each school have a subject to specialize in, what's that in Burnham?

It is just recently one of my friends told that to me, is the curriculum not the same? Do Slough schools (for example, Herschel) have a different specialization subject.

Just thought of seeking help in understanding this a bit more, because my DD is better at Maths than other subjects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 am 

Aethel, does each school have a subject to specialize in, what's that in Burnham?

It is just recently one of my friends told that to me, is the curriculum not the same? Do Slough schools (for example, Herschel) have a different specialization subject.

Just thought of seeking help in understanding this a bit more, because my DD is better at Maths than other subjects.