Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:09 pm 
Hi Thea

I am not sure of your area but there are a lot of Tutors around Bucks so I was able to get one in September. I am sure you could get some advice as to where to find a good tutor on this website. I assume your child is taking it next year? What tests will he/she do?
The main thing is to find someone who you feel is not only professional but also good with the children. Take your child with you when you first go along and ask if they can have a trial session first.
Also check exactly what the tutor does. Ours pretty much did testing only which was fine for my my son as it was so late in the day and I had already taken him through the coding and numeric techniques using one of Susan Dougherty's books. If your child is doing VR, Math and NV then they will need more practise on techniques as alot of the maths included is not covered at school in year 5. I thnk for that you need someone who will teach the technique and then test and also go over the answers where neccessary.
Alot of Tutors it would seem do lots of testing and not teaching and although the constant testing can get their speed up it wont increase their ability unless they are really taken through anything they are struggling with.

Hope thsi helps

Mel

Mel

Post subject: Re: Nerves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:24 pm 
Tina Bradshaw, London wrote:
My daughter gets very nervous ahead of any exam - any suggestions how I can take the edge off it?

Tell her to think of the test as something to be taken seriously, but not to be obseesive about. She should remember that even if she dosen't do well in th test the teachers are going to mark her class work as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:08 pm 
I think it helps to keep things as normal as possible in the week before the exam. My son continued with all his after school clubs in the week running up. The night before the tests we sat and watched a comedy (don't think I should be recommending 'Little Britain' for 10 yesr olds but that's what it was!)
I warned him that he may feel nervous when he first arrived but then would settle down as soon as he sat down to write and realised it was all stuff he'd done before (well mostly anyway).
I told him he should feel proud of himself for just sitting the test as most of his friends were not and that as long as he did his best that was all he could do.
Each child if different of course. Some need to be reminded that 'this is important' and others need to be told that it is not and not to stress out.
I will never forget walking up the road towards the school on a cold November morning, joking away and trying to make him feel relaxed when he said to me, 'mum, I don't want to talk. I just want to concentrate'.
He was so focused. I always comment to him now on his 'tunnel vision'. So determined, so young. I think our kids are amazing.