Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 100 % Scholarships
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 am 

Neither of those examples are relevant to the OPs question though - one is, as you say 8 years ago (and the place could have been fully funded by a bursary and a scholarship) so way before any recent rule or policy changes, and the second is funded by the council (in lieu of a state school place), so not a scholarship at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:57 pm 

HMC guidelines state that the value of academic scholarships should not exceed 50%.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:41 pm 

Ds was offered an academic scholarship for Alleyns (amongst others). It was worth a terms fees but we also applied for a bursary which would have topped the level up to a substantial amount. We didn't take the place but other people who did were also awarded a 'Sadlers' scholars place (the top scholarship candidates but you won't be told unless you accept the place). I don't know whether the Sadlers scholars attract extra fee remission. At Eltham College for example, you can have an academic scholarship and a sports/music scholarship top up, but generally not more than 50% although I have read on Mumsnet that someone was awarded 100% scholarship at Colfe's school (I think they must have been mistaken).

Contrary to belief, there is some 'negotiating' you can do if they really want your child. Also surprisingly, the income levels are a lot higher for bursary assistance in London. We found the bursars very friendly and knowledgeable - give them a call and discuss your situation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:59 pm 

The maximum academic scholarship for Alleyns has been £4k for some years - doesn't go far against school fees of c£18k (certainly hasn't been worth a whole term for a very long time). There are also sports/music/art scholarships which can also be £4k each but I've never heard of a child getting two full scholarships. There is no flexibility on this because the school are aware that parents compare notes. Sadlers scholars still only get the £4k.

JAGs are even less generous - £1k is standard scholarship with £4k only being available in 'exceptional circumstances'.

Bursary limits as set out on websites/school docs are similarly not negotiable otherwise the schools would get themselves in hot water.

Colfes/Eltham College/St Dunstans/Farringtons might be more generous?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:56 pm 

A bit late on this thread but still....

I know 2 parents (close friends, both of them) whose sons got into Hampton School on full (100%) scolarship last year. Boys are currently in year 7.
When I say full scholarship I don't mean just the fees, I am talking about school bus, uniform, lunches and one school trip per year. I don't think Hampton is the only school who does it but it's the only one where I know for sure that the above is true.

PP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:09 pm 

HMC regulations state that the maximum value of a scholarship is 50% of the fee. If what you say is true Hampton are in breach of these regulations. Bursaries can be up to the full value of the school fee and can also supplement a scholarship.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:12 pm 

Pinkpelican wrote:
A bit late on this thread but still....

I know 2 parents (close friends, both of them) whose sons got into Hampton School on full (100%) scolarship last year. Boys are currently in year 7.
When I say full scholarship I don't mean just the fees, I am talking about school bus, uniform, lunches and one school trip per year. I don't think Hampton is the only school who does it but it's the only one where I know for sure that the above is true.

PP

there are certainly some schools who do that as bursaries, parents often like to call them scholarships but they are generally for children who have done very very well academically and who can't afford to go to the school otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm 

Hampton does not offer 100% scholarships. It does offer 100% bursaries and often makes up a bursary to the whole amount with a scholarship. In my experience people often describe this as a scholarship, as either they don't fully understand, they think it sounds better (and in fairness many of them have a scholarship as part of the award, or they (rightly) don't want to draw attention to the circumstances of their financial situation, it being no-one else's business.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 pm 

I also know a boy who got100% Hampton scholarship.
A mixture of sport and academic.
It definitely wasn’t a bursary place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:28 pm 

Assumedly that was your own son, Moon Unit? Otherwise, you cannot know for certainty that it wasnt part bursary/part scholarship, as that information is confidential and, as Mad has alluded too, many parents are not wholly truthful when talking about bursaries, as many feel there is some stigma attached to them.

Notwithstanding, if it is true and was a 100% scholarship, recently, then I can only assume that this particular school is, or no longer wishes to be, a registered charity any more. As the regulations very clearly limit the max scholarship (even cumulative ones) to no more than 50%.

In practice, most scholarships are significantly less than 50% as, equally, the charities commission encourages more focus on bursaries.