Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:52 am 

I don’t think Habs have changed their policy on admission numbers. The reason the numbers are “evasive” will be because whilst they aim for a 5 form entry, they don’t know how many girls offered will take up the place.

All private schools tend to over offer and this is based on the Head estimating based on previous years uptakes, interview questions (in Channings case, queries related to siblings, at Highgate, questionnaires on exam day to children). These don’t affect you getting an offer ( we parents get paranoid with these questions) but it’s the school trying to gauge whether you are a likely yes to inform them of how many to offer that year.

As this is not an exact science, occasionally there is more uptake. I see nothing suspicious about this with Habs intake. The Head clearly stated at the open days and the interview that they over offer and that unlike other schools where offers might “explode” to keep to the admission numbers, Habs will honour their offer as they have the space and ability to do so (by hiring teachers/placing more clubs of needed/ extra sports etc if needed.

In fact the Habs offer letter stated they made less offers than previous years and despite this, had a higher uptake. You can consider why the reasons for this might be or whether it is just a chance occurrence this year.

DD1 is af Habs and I have nothing but praise for the school. Their attention to detail has impressed me and most importantly I work hard to maintain the emotional wellbeing of the girls.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:53 pm 

Barnetmamma - this is very helpful and also reassuring. Thanks so much for posting. I feel less anxious, indeed, silly for having balked initially.

GDBJ1819 - I had thought the same, but I understand that there are other independent schools that have a large intake - Eton has over 200 in a year group, apparently. There may be more. I think the key is how many kids are in an individual tutor group. As the tutor groups are now going to be 25 at Habs, I guess that can only be a good thing.

Barnetmamma - I would love to hear more about how your daughter is getting on? Would you mind if I PM-ed you? I'm curious about their sports clubs and the like. Would be great to hear about your DD's experiences thus far.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 am 

With reference to class sizes at Habs Boys, having just accepted a place there for my son for yr7 entry this year. it was a hot topic at the Q&A the school put on for offer holders. Many parents were asking the same question. This was answered quite openly by the Head of admissions. Last couple of years they have had more acceptances than anticipated, hence the classes had to be increased to accommodate the number of pupils that had accepted offers.

This year to counter act this and ensure class sizes are kept smaller they have interviewed and offered fewer places. This includes a wait list as well to help them to more accurately calculate the number of pupils they are accepting. Seemed to make sense to me which quelled my worry about this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:59 pm 

Hi
My daughter started Habs last September in year 7 from a state school. I remember the Head very clearly stating that as they honour their offers (unlike some other other schools) it can result in another class being put set up on occasion. My daughter is in a class of 27 and yes although it's large, they are all like minded girls and I truly don't feel its affected her learning.

I would agree about the sports comments. There is more competition to get into the teams, but the teachers are fair and my daughter having not been picked for netball the first time around has now been chosen for the development squad. There are 4 teams in some sports so most children who want to get into a team have the option to.

Please feel free to PM is you want any info

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:20 am 

Habs had a bulge year about 4/5 years ago when nite girls than expected accepted their offer. Latter Upper has large classes as well, 30 and upwards per class.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:19 am 

nylon14 wrote:
Habs had a bulge year about 4/5 years ago when nite girls than expected accepted their offer. Latter Upper has large classes as well, 30 and upwards per class.

Unless things have changed recently Latymer Upper has 24 per form group, but equally would honour offers and has taken extra pupils in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:45 am 

Money?

A 'guaranteed' Year 7 place from their own Prep incentivises parents to put their girls into the Prep and keep them there. ... 'Guaranteed' fee income and for the long term.

Admitting more external recruits into Year 7, at least some years, also locks in more fee income and for seven academic years for that cohort.

The 'model' is fundamentally a financial model.

And, yes, the class sizes at many private schools are too high, especially for the fees being charged. They may become even bigger, given the constant financial pressures on these schools.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:13 am 

Jean.Brodie wrote:
And, yes, the class sizes at many private schools are too high, especially for the fees being charged. They may become even bigger, given the constant financial pressures on these schools.

True

The financial burden of having to build a brand new, state of the art swimming pool every 10 years can be crippling! :?