Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 pm 

I think I have accidentally deleted my post whilst editing it. I will try to repost!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:44 am 

We did consortium test as well as two other more standard tests and it definitely added to our work load. With our older daughter we didn't have to do any VR or NVR and could just concentrate on maths and English. It felt very straightforward and quite predictable - we knew that she'd get at least two of the four she tried for and on a good day would get all of them (which she did).

Younger daughter and it feels much harder work and more unpredictable. We want her to go to same consortium school as her sister but didn't feel we could just do consortium and no others as it felt like putting all our eggs in one basket. So had to keep up the comprehension etc. Did Highgate as was good to get it out the way in December and then switched our attentions to CEM type stuff over Christmas and parked the rest (despite doing another comprehension/maths school exam in January).

She's done as well as we can know in the traditional papers - interview at Highgate, scholarship interview at other school. However, we're completely clueless about the consortium. The head of one school said the new test results were correlating well with the references but that implies to me that it's correlating with CAT scores, which coming from a state primary we don't have.

It could be argued, I suppose, that if she does well in the traditional papers and not in the new test then it means that she's been tutored rather than naturally bright. However, she's from a state primary and has minimal tutoring (an hour a week) and I know she's far more naturally academic than her siblings.

I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I know that from our experience the new consortium test has not reduced our stress levels. Someone who tutors told me the general feedback was that the consortium test was too easy and too many girls had done brilliantly. I can really imagine my daughter messing up through carelessness.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:50 am 

I just wrote a long reply that disappeared...

In response to DAO, the new consortium test definitely increased our workload and stress. With our older dd we could just do the traditional papers and it felt very doable from a state primary and pretty predictable.

With this dd we felt we couldn't just do the consortium test in case she messed up so still had to do the traditional papers. We know she's done as well as she could do (interview/scholarship interview) in the two traditional tests, but I've no idea about the consortium.

Apparently feedback is that the consortium test was too easy and that too many girls have got perfect marks. I can imagine that my very academic (far more so than older sister) won't be one of them as she's prone to rushing. She's got a real flare for writing as well as the more complicated maths problems and I don't see how this will be conveyed in the consortium test.

It's frustrating as I'd like her to go to the same school as her sister but I feel that the new consortium test has made this more unlikely. I wonder whether they're going to rely more on school references to distinguish between girls and this disfavours state school applicants.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 am 

Welcome. New users posts are held and checked before making it to the forum. It helps to prevent spam posts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am 

Apologies for repetitive posting then!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 am 

A quick follow up on questions to my earlier post - my daughter was asked in her Stahs interview to compare the schools she had applied to / did a maths riddle / explained some vocab in a passage and then was given a picture based activity. There were a few girls who I know didn’t get this last activity but I’ve since spoken to some parents whose daughters did get it! Good luck to everyone for the results this week

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 pm 

We had the same at STAHS but they didn’t ask her anything about her interests / subjects or co curriculum clubs. A very different feel to
Interviews at CLSG / NLCS and Habs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 pm 

Glazed (know the feeling) - what is a CAT score?

Earning a place - you (and your DD) seem to have done really well across the spectrum. Have all the interviews and chances to see the schools again changed your (or DD) preferences?

Any top tips on how to make a decision (if we are in the fortunate position of having a choice of course)?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:55 am 

CATs are cognitive ability tests that private schools do, as far I understand, fairly continually and apparently include the results of them on their references. They also indicate to parents which private secondaries they should be look at realistically. I remember my kid's teacher asking if we'd had any done outside school as one of the school reference forms asked for them (and they don't do them in their state school).

I don't know if coming from a state primary and not having done them disadvantages children or not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:42 am 

It does not disadvantage them.

It is just one piece of data among many.

If anything some students from some private schools are disadvantaged as they can be told which schools to apply for. State school students have a free rein with nobody to tell them what to do in terms of applying for schools. DG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next