Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:54 am 

Hi, if you are offered a place at HIghgate it will
Expire once all the places have been taken, I don’t know
When CLSB release their offers but you won’t be able to hold an offer from Highgate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:51 am 

Earningaplace wrote:
Hi, if you are offered a place at HIghgate it will
Expire once all the places have been taken, I don’t know
When CLSB release their offers but you won’t be able to hold an offer from Highgate.

Dear Earningaplace, that’s why I am asking, it just doesn’t seem fair that after all the children’s hard work we are not given time to maybe have another look.
I think CLSB do actually give you time to decide but I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:12 am 

In theory all the schools give you time to decide but the reality is they all over offer & you do have to make a fairly quick decision, exploding offers or not. This is part of applying to secondary school, particularly the indies.

I do know that Highgate have reached their waiting list the last 2 years.

Not sure when City make their offers but with Highgate the offer holder day is usually v son after the offers come out.

We were also choosing between 2 excellent schools....we had already had 2 visits to both yet the offer holder day didn't really help me make my decision, it was still v hard. It did however make my son's decision for him. At the Highgate offer holder day the children are taken off, 2 years ago they did Science. I was surprised that there weren't more parents at the offer holder days - it would seem that more parents do actually have a first choice and, when the results come in, they are clear on their decision.

Hard not to be impressed by Highgate's grounds, pitches etc for a sporty child yet City is a fantastic school, I know plenty of children v happy there.

At lest you know that you can't make a bad choice - both amazing schools! Good luck!

Would it make it easier if only one offers you a place?! In a way yes. Which one would you be most disappointed not to get a place at?

I know parents who were choosing between 5/6 schools - too much choice can be agonising!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:40 am 

Last year City's head was very firm that an offer equals a place, and it was their problem not the parents if they got too many acceptances (the question came up at offer morning because of the CLSG debacle.)

They aim to bring in 55-60 boys for Year 7 to add to their 40 in their own Year 6, but as it turned out they had 70 acceptances and had to open up an extra class, so they were true to their word (it might be that they make fewer offers this year, because they don't have the space to do this every year.) Worth asking what the policy is this year, but they were very clear last year that they thought exploding offers was not the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 am 

We had our interview at HIghgate this week, we were told that they over offer and it’s first come first served, I asked about a waiting list and they said they don’t have one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am 

Sla212 wrote:
In theory all the schools give you time to decide but the reality is they all over offer & you do have to make a fairly quick decision, exploding offers or not. This is part of applying to secondary school, particularly the indies.

I do know that Highgate have reached their waiting list the last 2 years.

Not sure when City make their offers but with Highgate the offer holder day is usually v son after the offers come out.

We were also choosing between 2 excellent schools....we had already had 2 visits to both yet the offer holder day didn't really help me make my decision, it was still v hard. It did however make my son's decision for him. At the Highgate offer holder day the children are taken off, 2 years ago they did Science. I was surprised that there weren't more parents at the offer holder days - it would seem that more parents do actually have a first choice and, when the results come in, they are clear on their decision.

Hard not to be impressed by Highgate's grounds, pitches etc for a sporty child yet City is a fantastic school, I know plenty of children v happy there.

At lest you know that you can't make a bad choice - both amazing schools! Good luck!

Would it make it easier if only one offers you a place?! In a way yes. Which one would you be most disappointed not to get a place at?

I know parents who were choosing between 5/6 schools - too much choice can be agonising!

Thank you for your time in detailing your suggestions and I like what you said about which one would we be more disappointed in not getting an offer, I’ve not thought about it like that but I think I might be slightly disappointed if city don’t make an offer as ds really likes the idea of getting a sport scholarship at city.

Thank you everyone for your kind contributions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:25 am 

Does anyone known when will CLSB make offers? I can't see this info on their website

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:32 am 

drinkmoretea wrote:
Does anyone known when will CLSB make offers? I can't see this info on their website

In the email sent to parents of boys invited for interview the following is included:

"We appreciate you would like to know the final outcome of your son’s application as soon as possible and we will notify results to parents of all candidates by email on Friday 15 February. This offer will include the award of any Academic, Music or Sports Scholarships."
Also:
"There will be an Open Morning for offer holders and their parents on Wednesday 27 February from 10am to 12pm."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:38 am 

Thanks bupps. So it's the same as the consortium then.