Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:21 pm 

Thank you for all the responses. It's great to hear from parents with dcs at both schools.

In the end, my ds didn't get an offer from Habs however I believe he will excel at SA.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:57 pm 

Relieved it's over- very reassuring indeed. And decision has been made!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:07 pm 

Couldn't agree more. We accepted the offer from St Albans yesterday, and turned down a scholarship offer elsewhere. Very happy with the decision.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:16 pm 

Great news Radlettdad- now the journey is over, you can relax!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 pm 

Radlettdad wrote:
Couldn't agree more. We accepted the offer from St Albans yesterday, and turned down a scholarship offer elsewhere. Very happy with the decision.

Congratulations to you and your dc, Radlettdad.

I look forward to putting a face to the name. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 am 

Hello,

can some experience parents pls give some feedback on both schools, specially parents who choose Habs Boys over St Albans Boys and St Albans Boys over Habs Boys.
There experience and specially how DS gets on at their respective schools will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:30 pm 

I'm the original poster.

My older ds is now in his second year at St Albans and we couldn't be happier. He has settled in really well, made great friends and is thriving in all areas of school life.

My younger son will be joining the school in September as he just received and accepted an offer there. I believe he will be just as happy as his brother.

I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 pm 

thank you and its great to hear your DS is doing well.

Just want to ask you few things about St Albans Boys.

Any issues about bullying in general at the school
How is there Pastoral care
Do they have a proven prefects system that contributes to school management
What about traveling to Woollam sports grounds in a few miles from the school, does that matter to the parents and boys
Do they have to visit the Woollam most Saturdays
Do they get an opportunity every week to attend assemblies at the Cathedral
How are the academic teaching quality and standard. Are they very competitive.
What about extracurricular, do they offer many opportunities

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:44 pm 

I've copied your questions so I don't miss any and will try to answer to the best of my ability. Please bear in mind, that my opinion is subjective and may differ from others'. I love the school. It's the right one for both my boys. My family's experience has been positive. There may be some who have had different experiences.

Any issues about bullying in general at the school - None that I know or have heard of.
How is their Pastoral care - In my opinion, excellent. I have found the staff to be nurturing yet not smothering and they handle issues with utmost discretion.
Do they have a proven prefects system that contributes to school management - I don't know much about prefects, I'm afraid.
What about traveling to Woollam sports grounds in a few miles from the school, does that matter to the parents and boys - Not sure what you mean exactly, perhaps you could explain in detail but the school shuttle takes the boys there and back. My son has never complained about this. On the contrary, he actually enjoys their weekly trips there.
Do they have to visit the Woollam most Saturdays - If your son is in the sports teams, they do have to attend fixtures most Saturdays at Woollams or away.
Do they get an opportunity every week to attend assemblies at the Cathedral - Yes, twice a week unless they are exempt on religious grounds, in which case there is an alternative. I forget what it's called.
How are the academic teaching quality and standard. Are they very competitive. - I certainly think the teaching, and overall academics, is to a high standard and the boys are challenged to achieve their potential.
What about extracurricular, do they offer many opportunities - There's an extensive list of activities ranging including sports, drama, music, STEM, Cadets etc for the boys to take part in. The trouble is trying to decide between what they can do in the finite amount of time they have.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 pm 

Dear Anoka,
You are kind and very helpful.
Your time is most appreciated.
I do understand you tried your best to answer my questions to your best ability and experiance.

thanks again.