Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:36 pm 

Samurai wrote:
So late for what. It's just a 2 min affair to open the mail and realize the score and assess/modify CAF preference.

:-) I am sure there's emotion and anxiety involved. Kind of thing you can never get a consensus for. To be fair, they were always ambiguous when they were going to release it - so there's no question of not respecting it.

Thanks rd231 for keeping us posted! Best wishes to everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:26 am 

Yes emotion but a bit of a practical thing for us too.
If DD is eligible to apply then there are certain support needs I'd want to address with the school. If they'd had an open day in person I would have done so then. Of course they still might not be willing to speak to us, this is our first high school application so not sure how it works.

Not sure whether Nonsuch is actually our first choice if she is eligible to apply (and we're pretty local so would come under two of those categories as well).

Maybe not something that would have been resolved anyway before the CAF but I'd hoped to have a little more time to reflect and poss contact the school.

I know it's a process though and of course they've stuck to their side of the deal, plus recognise the sheer numbers of other pupils sitting the test, so fair enough.... I'm just personally quite conflicted and yes, lots of emotions involved too of course!

DD luckily is completely oblivious :D so that's all good!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:32 am 

Sounds like a very good reason to explore that NOW with the school, on a conditional basis. For the admissions office, this might well be the period of calm before the storm. Also, given your DD is at the second stage, she is strong contender - given the historic high pass rate at this stage (~90%); very justifiable to make a preemptive enquiry.

I had a clear response from them on an issue I had with the conditions pertaining to SET.. they furnished a full response within 8 days.. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:45 am 

Thanks upset_dad (hope you're not that upset anymore! :D )

Yes, we have a lot of decision making around this so would have helped to have results by now. Everyone's circumstances are different. And its getting stressful due to the tight timelines.

Anyways, hoping we all get the best and I wish everyone good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:39 pm 

The good thing is they give scores ( unlike Boys). The standardized scores help ascertain the position in the quadrant distributions with a fair degree of certainity. A problem of choice between Top schools is a good problem to have albeit a difficult one to solve. The more one reflects, the more the confusion deepens which one to rank in CAF. Close your eyes and believe me it will take exactly 2min to click those arrows in CAF up and down :lol:

P.S. By now I have let DD try out the public transport of top 3 choices just for fun. Also circambulated the buildings ( to marvel at architecfure and colour of the brick, chairs, walls). Talked with ex- students, some teachers, scanned studentroom,mumsnet, all possible websites but nowhere near solving the CAF preferences :) so its going to be the 2 min decision :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:05 am 

Samurai wrote:
The good thing is they give scores ( unlike Boys). The standardized scores help ascertain the position in the quadrant distributions with a fair degree of certainity. A problem of choice between Top schools is a good problem to have albeit a difficult one to solve. The more one reflects, the more the confusion deepens which one to rank in CAF. Close your eyes and believe me it will take exactly 2min to click those arrows in CAF up and down :lol:

P.S. By now I have let DD try out the public transport of top 3 choices just for fun. Also circambulated the buildings ( to marvel at architecfure and colour of the brick, chairs, walls). Talked with ex- students, some teachers, scanned studentroom,mumsnet, all possible websites but nowhere near solving the CAF preferences :) so its going to be the 2 min decision :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you. Just picking up your point about scores, I actually hadn't realised this. How easy is it to tell how strong a score it is though, as presumably this varies from year to year in terms of where the pass mark / likely to get a place line etc is drawn?

Thanks to everyone who has responded too and that the wait isn't being too stressful for you all. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:11 am 

11+2021 wrote:
Thank you. Just picking up your point about scores, I actually hadn't realised this. How easy is it to tell how strong a score it is though, as presumably this varies from year to year in terms of where the pass mark / likely to get a place line etc is drawn?

Thanks to everyone who has responded too and that the wait isn't being too stressful for you all. Good luck!

My DD had her heart set on Nonsuch (Sept 2019 test). Their curly fries in their cafeteria were the ultimate deciding factor, after considering all other non-stats factors. However the scores did not work out for initial round as OOC and COVID was a good enough reason to get ourselves removed from their waiting list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:48 pm 

Quote:
Just picking up your point about scores, I actually hadn't realised this. How easy is it to tell how strong a score it is though, as presumably this varies from year to year in terms of where the pass mark / likely to get a place line etc is drawn?

There are enough datapoints to help you make a range estimate of 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th quartile based on historical distribution patterns. Nonsuch site provides score cutoff both for National offer day and September. Its provided for both IC and OOC. You will recognize your quartile the moment you open the mail :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:42 am 

Does anyone have any update on the result date? The wait and anticipation is not fun :-(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:16 pm 

Worry_mom wrote:
Does anyone have any update on the result date? The wait and anticipation is not fun

The latest I had was an email response from Nonsuch admissions last Thursday, saying it will be this week by 22nd. Non committal on the exact date.

Reading other threads, I wonder if this is the longest wait amongst all other 11+ exams. Wish the girls' schools knew they have some kind of reputation to save, on these forums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next