Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:56 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:41 pm
Posts: 5
Hi all,

Our DS got offered a significant scholarship at a great independent, however we are still undecided if we should go for Tiffin in the case DS gets in. :?

The deadline to hand in the acceptance form for the independent is National Offer Day COP and it seems that the Council only emails in the evening of March 2nd- does anyone have experience of calling the Council to find out the result? Anyone in a similar dilemma and any thoughts/ advice would help.

Many thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 6725
They are very unlikely to give you the info over the phone - not to mention that they will be incredibly busy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 10294
Location: Essex
Do you think the great independent deliberately set the deadline for a time when local applicants won't know the outcome of that application, or just went, Okay, state offers 1st March, we'll be generous and give them 24 hours to make up their minds, without considering that a) the 1st is not a working day and therefore results will not be notified until the 2nd and b) all / nearly all their offer holders who are waiting on state allocations live in LAs where the notifications are not made until the end of the working day? (I assume your LA is one of the London boroughs, if your state preference is Tiffin?).

I would give the indie a ring first thing on Monday morning and explain the situation; with any luck, the setting of the deadline was an oversight.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 8008
Location: Surrey
They might extend the time but under exploding offers scenario.

_________________
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 10294
Location: Essex
tiffinboys wrote:
They might extend the time but under exploding offers scenario.


To be honest, anything short of just extending the deadline, honouring all offers made, even just until something like, 'acceptances by email timed up to and including 9am on the 3rd' would show a certain lack of greatness, if the original deadline wasn't an oversight, but the intention to 'explode' offers hadn't been indicated. Even worse, if the timing of the deadline had been under the genuine (if lazy / lacking in imagination) misapprehension that the 1st being a Sunday would not make a difference but they refuse to acknowledge that when the situation is brought to their attention.

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:41 pm
Posts: 5
Thank you all for your advice and thoughts...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gs2017 and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020