Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stage 2 Wilsons/SGS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:58 am 

GS Exams wrote:
Now starts the waiting time for the results. We know the results on 19th but then onlt ion March 1st we know concrete answer. Not knowing the scores is so annoying in the sense we have no idea how brighter are the chances. I keep telling my DS don’t worry now that the exams are over but he has worked so hard and is curious to know if that is going to get him the school he wants to join!

Yes, can’t agree more. Its frustrating as in my case we don’t know if we will move and if we do then where are we going?
You can not research the area and don’t know which pockets are good. After 1st March it will be manic rush and you just have to take whatever in terms of house is available:(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:15 am 

Oh my goodness, you're putting yourself under a lot of pressure there, to move to a totally unfamiliar area in the six months between offer day and term starting.

What will you do about primary schools? What about other considerations like the activities you do or your journey to work? Moving house is enormously disruptive, I wouldn't do it just for a school.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:36 pm 

GS Exams wrote:
You can not research the area and don’t know which pockets are good

Yes, you could do that before 1 March.

GS Exams wrote:
After 1st March it will be manic rush and you just have to take whatever in terms of house is available

You won't get much sympathy on this forum for exam tourism if that's what you're after!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:56 pm 

I thought you should always make sure the journey is manageable before applying the idea being local children apply.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:25 pm 

As long as the child follows the admission requirement, whats wrong with applying out of catchment area. My friend moved from Woking to Sutton this year as the boy had an offer for Wilson, they had OOC offer. They only started house hunting after hearing of the offer on 01.03. The family has now settled in a new home which is 5 mins walking distance to the school, better than many of his friends who travels on public transport and could be much further out even within the catchment.

We applied for a school without catchment too and we consider moving. There is nothing wrong moving to a house nearer to a school which our child will go to for 7 long years.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 pm 

You can do it if you want to. You can uproot your whole life and family for one child's school if it's literally the only criteria that matters to you about where you live.

I assume you don't have any other children though. Making another child move schools just because his or her sibling has a place somewhere else seems really cruel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:43 pm 

Really, why moving is cruel? Many of us move, we even move oversea because of parents’ work requirement. With or without sibing as long as it works for the whole family. Why judge? I am sure my friends and their son are now more local to the school than many. The sibling is also going to a local state primary school 5 mins walk down the road. The reason the school stay top of the (what ever) chart is because its very competitive to get in and is it not what you are looking for then why try?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 pm 

Littlebird wrote:
As long as the child follows the admission requirement, whats wrong with applying out of catchment area. My friend moved from Woking to Sutton this year as the boy had an offer for Wilson, they had OOC offer. They only started house hunting after hearing of the offer on 01.03. The family has now settled in a new home which is 5 mins walking distance to the school.

You're right it's not for anyone else to say if it's wrong, and people do make it work. There's no such thing as OOC for Wilson's for example, so anyone is within their right to apply and take up a place if they comply with the school's request to be within no more than an hours' commute door to door.

What made me chuckle is the complaints about the admissions timeline from someone who has applied to GS in multiple boroughs. If you can make it work within the schools' very clear timeline and rules then go for it, but don't moan about the inconvenience of a system that you're trying to take advantage of.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:52 pm 

Completely up to each individual family. I just didn’t realise people moved for grammar schools but I suppose it’s the same as moving to get into a catchment of the school you wish.

Goodluck everyone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:31 pm 

Littlebird wrote:
Really, why moving is cruel? Many of us move, we even move oversea because of parents’ work requirement. With or without sibing as long as it works for the whole family. Why judge? I am sure my friends and their son are now more local to the school than many. The sibling is also going to a local state primary school 5 mins walk down the road. The reason the school stay top of the (what ever) chart is because its very competitive to get in and is it not what you are looking for then why try?

Moving isn't cruel. It's the implication that the older sibling's education is more important than the younger one's. Unless, of course, you're going to move again when the time comes for number two's secondary transfer?

What are the non-grammar options in the area you've moved to? What will you do if your second child doesn't like the options locally? You moved for one but not the other.

Moving next door to a comp that suits all your children is one thing. Moving a child away from all his friends, his Scout group and his swimming club so his sibling can go to a school he might not even get into is another.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next