Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:43 am 

VBusybee wrote:
Not necessarily. For Boys its open and based on the result outcome. For girls it’s different.

You have misunderstood the process in Sutton, which is exactly the same for boys and girls. You get a standardised score for round 1. You also get a standardised score after round 2 (where a round 2 is used). The score is derived from your child's raw score in relation to everybody else's raw score, with some adjustment based on birth month, and nothing else. Your address is not taken into account and the invitation to 2nd round and the cut off for meeting the required standard after round 2 is based purely on the score. IC or OOC or distance from school is only relevant once CAF forms are submitted and the Local Authority works out the allocation of places based on the schools' criteria. These are different for each school - some (including 2 of the 3 Sutton boys' grammars) ring fence places for certain postcodes, others don't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:01 am 

Hi All . has anyone got invitation for second round from Nonsuch and Wallington girls yet . We received the mail that Dd is through to second round but haven’t recieved the invitation for second round yet. Thank you .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:19 pm 

Hi All ,

What does it mean by having met selective ability criteria for admission to Greenshaw school?? Does it indicate that DD did well or is it the same email sent to all the girls who qualified round 1?

Many Thanks. Regards

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:25 pm 

Marfa wrote:
Hi All ,

What does it mean by having met selective ability criteria for admission to Greenshaw school?? Does it indicate that DD did well or is it the same email sent to all the girls who qualified round 1?

Many Thanks. Regards

All children who passed stage 1 qualify to applying for greenshaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 pm 

I can't find any info on Greenshaw's website or the internet about what they offer/do for children who get the ability places. I hadn't considered it before but as DD would qualify wondered if I should but they don't sell that side of things at all. Does anyone know anything about it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:33 pm 

KingstonMama wrote:
I can't find any info on Greenshaw's website or the internet about what they offer/do for children who get the ability places. I hadn't considered it before but as DD would qualify wondered if I should but they don't sell that side of things at all. Does anyone know anything about it?

If you look on this page: http://www.greenshaw.co.uk/page/?title= ... 20&pid=304
It says they offer 60 places to children who passed the SET

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:35 pm 

But what I can't see is what they do differently for those 60 children at Greenshaw? I can see lots of info about the school as a whole, but to want to apply for one of the 60 places I'm wondering what the benefit is over just applying to the school as an 'ordinary' candidate, or to any other non selective. If that makes sense? Their prospectus is all about not capping anyone's individual ability, so once they are there are the 60 selective place children given the same curriculum/teachers as everyone else or are they fast tracked or extended or something? TBH it's a bit of a tricky journey for us so it doesn't really matter/apply but would be good to know!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:37 am 

KingstonMama wrote:
But what I can't see is what they do differently for those 60 children at Greenshaw? I can see lots of info about the school as a whole, but to want to apply for one of the 60 places I'm wondering what the benefit is over just applying to the school as an 'ordinary' candidate, or to any other non selective. If that makes sense? Their prospectus is all about not capping anyone's individual ability, so once they are there are the 60 selective place children given the same curriculum/teachers as everyone else or are they fast tracked or extended or something? TBH it's a bit of a tricky journey for us so it doesn't really matter/apply but would be good to know!

With a partially selective school, there is nothing to say that all the pupils entering by the selective you're are necessarily the most able overall. Even assuming that the selective route applicants are ranked on proximity to school (Sorry, don't know whether this is how they do it, haven't looked), those who got 'normal' proximity or sibling places may contain in their number more than the total number of 'selective applicants. So one wouldn't necessarily expect the school to run itself as a bilateral school, just on the strength of the test score.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6