Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: 2nd Stage Test
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:19 am 

annaMc wrote:
If you get through to the second stage for Nonsuch and Wallington, you have a very good chance of passing. See below from last year’s notification email:

“Of the 965 candidates who sat the NWETSSEE, 849 passed all three components and are therefore eligible for one of the 210 places available at Nonsuch High School for Girls and/or one of the 210 places available at Wallington High School for Girls for the September 2018 entry.”

In-catchment pupils who pass have a very good chance of getting a place. For out of catchment children, which I think you are, it is more difficult as you are competing for one of the top 100 (I think) places. However, keep in mind that while 849 children passing for 420 total places (Wallington and Nonsuch) seems a lot, many of these 849 kids will put other schools eg Tiffin first on their CAF.

My daughter was not much over the pass mark last year and at first I couldn’t possibly see how she could get a place when there must have been 750-800 kids ahead of her. However, she got offered both schools in the end - one on offer day and the other shortly after. Luckily we were in catchment though.

Regarding Greenshaw, I would expect everyone who passed the exam was told they qualified for this. I’m not sure if there are any benefits to Greenshaw over other comprehensives though. As far as I’m aware, they don’t have a ‘grammar stream’ for kids who passed the test.

Thank you annaMc.. this is such helpful information and congrats to your daughter for getting her schools of choice last year. It’s a bit of a minefield but really useful information in your reply and very much appreciated

Many thanks xx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:16 pm 

KingstonMama wrote:
I didn't know you got the scores before the caf form. Do the scores let you know if they've met a pass mark or...?

Last year, the scores were provided before the CAF submission deadline. I don't remember a Pass mark mentioned - only the lowest & highest standardised scores + DDs score. Maybe the lowest standardised score is implied as a pass mark!! Not sure about that though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:14 pm 

The “lowest standardised score that passed” was given.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:49 pm 

Thanks all. I don't think I looked as far as this point when we first applied but am now doing my homework!!