Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:02 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2nd Stage Test
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:25 am 

I have just received the email with information regarding the 2nd stage test at Nonsuch.

In the maths can children lose marks if they have the correct answer but have not shown working out?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:09 pm 

To practice for the maths questions- what materials/books should our children be using in the next few days?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:55 pm 

confusednewbie wrote:
Hello all

I’m new here and very confused... so hoping someone can help clarify some of this for me...please

my DD got thru stage 1 so will sit the next exam on saturday I guess.

The email said she scored enough for Greenshaw selective 60 and for the joint NonSuch Wallington exam.

I’m trying to figure out her chances for nonsuch as that is the closest school to us... at 5 miles away.

Does anyone know how many girls are through to the next exam and also does everyone who gets thru also get the Greenshaw statement on their email?

Also how many spaces are there for all girls vs how many pass the 2nd exam?
Is the pass mark Predetermined or do they look at everyone above a certain mark for that year?
Some Numbers on a previous thread suggest that maybe there are twice as many who pass as places available.. but have I misunderstood that?

We were looking at Nonsuch for travel reasons but wondering if we need to also now consider wallington and Greenshaw... although I don’t understand the selective 60 bit or how the whole process works.

My DD was very pleased to get thru, as we’re we, but she didn’t finish the maths paper so wondering what this means for the next exam... I mean will she struggle to finish?

Many thanks in advance for any help, guidance and advice and apologies for any typos it hope this makes sense

Hi confusednewbie,

I believe the pass mark is based on the cohort.

I believe Walli girls have a different pass mark to Nonsuch. To be honest when you decide to put your choices on the CAF form, go for the school you want rather than trying to work out the system.

If you try and look for previous threads from last year you will get an idea on the lowest and highest score accepted for both schools. I believe someone provided this information for both Nonsuch and Wallington. Unlike the boys school they provided the scores last year before you had to submit your CAF form.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 pm 

I didn't know you got the scores before the caf form. Do the scores let you know if they've met a pass mark or...?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 pm 

sleeplessmum wrote:
confusednewbie wrote:
Hello all

Hi confusednewbie,

I believe the pass mark is based on the cohort.

I believe Walli girls have a different pass mark to Nonsuch. To be honest when you decide to put your choices on the CAF form, go for the school you want rather than trying to work out the system.

If you try and look for previous threads from last year you will get an idea on the lowest and highest score accepted for both schools. I believe someone provided this information for both Nonsuch and Wallington. Unlike the boys school they provided the scores last year before you had to submit your CAF form.

Thank you for replying.
I think I’m confused because we were only looking at Nonsuch but the email has opened up a couple more options. I guess we need to look at all the options available but if successsful after stage 2 will we be told we’re eligible to apply to whichever schools and then it’s down to CAF process or is there a guarantee of a place at the schools? I think it’s based in the CAF process but just double checking?

The Greenshaw 60 thing threw me as it seems that everyone who passes stage 1 must be told this... I think I’m only now realising how tight it is for spaces and that exam results are simply opening up the possibility of a place and not a guarantee of one.

Wishing everyone well for the exams on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 pm 

We did this last year.

Stage 2 is in essence a ranking exercise, no pass/fail mark. Just ranking the girls, highest at the top. This will then be used for offers of places.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:57 am 

That's not right, you can definitely fall the secund stage test, at least for the girls. It says specifically that you need to pass in both the maths and English papers to pass overall for the girls. I think the percentage of passes at stage 2 is much higher than stage 1 but it's not 100%

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:49 am 

It's all explained in Sutton Council's Transfer to Secondary School booklet, which you're advised to read before filling the CAF: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UpTdzT ... HEHpi/view\

See the Wallington Girls' section.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:03 am 

streathammum wrote:
That's not right, you can definitely fall the secund stage test, at least for the girls. It says specifically that you need to pass in both the maths and English papers to pass overall for the girls. I think the percentage of passes at stage 2 is much higher than stage 1 but it's not 100%

Yes, perhaps I'm muddling up with the tiffin exam.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:25 am 

If you get through to the second stage for Nonsuch and Wallington, you have a very good chance of passing. See below from last year’s notification email:

“Of the 965 candidates who sat the NWETSSEE, 849 passed all three components and are therefore eligible for one of the 210 places available at Nonsuch High School for Girls and/or one of the 210 places available at Wallington High School for Girls for the September 2018 entry.”

In-catchment pupils who pass have a very good chance of getting a place. For out of catchment children, which I think you are, it is more difficult as you are competing for one of the top 100 (I think) places. However, keep in mind that while 849 children passing for 420 total places (Wallington and Nonsuch) seems a lot, many of these 849 kids will put other schools eg Tiffin first on their CAF.

My daughter was not much over the pass mark last year and at first I couldn’t possibly see how she could get a place when there must have been 750-800 kids ahead of her. However, she got offered both schools in the end - one on offer day and the other shortly after. Luckily we were in catchment though.

Regarding Greenshaw, I would expect everyone who passed the exam was told they qualified for this. I’m not sure if there are any benefits to Greenshaw over other comprehensives though. As far as I’m aware, they don’t have a ‘grammar stream’ for kids who passed the test.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next