Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:20 am 
Milly,

My daughter is to sit her exam in Shropshire on Saturday with a similar timescale to yours i.e. 9.00 a.m. - 12.40 p.m. for 2 x 1 hour VR tests.

Our letter has stated that they can take a drink but no mention of snack.

Sorry this is so mundane but would you advise us to give daughter a chocolate bar to take?

Regards

Clover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:02 pm 
Yes, I would advise you to give your daughter a snack. They will most certainly have a break. (Most schools recommend it) I think chocolate is an excellent idea as it gives the child a boost of energy. Although I'm sure there are parents that wont agree with this. I gave my son crisps and chocolate to eat on his exam breaks. (He deserved it)!

Good luck to your daughter.

Milly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:55 pm 
Thanks for your reply Milly.

Chocolate bar it is then.

Our whole family have been pasta free for the last couple of weeks ( as recommended by Patricia in the Bucks section), didn't realise how limited my culinary skills are.

Once Saturday is over will that gnawing in the pit of my stomach disappear for Christmas? It's the only good thing about 11 plus as I've dropped a few pounds without trying.

Only another 11 weeks until March and good luck to your son.

We're going to the cinema straight after the exam so I won't be able to interrogate her, thank goodness.

Clover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:17 pm 

Dear Clover

The problem with chocolate is that its a short term sugar rush, followed by a sharp dip [so I'm told]......a banana is a much better choice, slow releasing energy.

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:08 pm 
Yes, good point Patricia,

I'll give her a banana to take in and I'll eat chocolate whilst waiting.

It may be purely psychological but as a family we do seem more alert and energetic under our enforced pasta ban regime.

I have taken on board all of your tips recently.

Thanks again,

Clover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:15 pm 
Oh dear... So sorry for my advice about taking a chocolate bar for the exam break.

It is certainly true that chocolate gives you a sugar rush but I thought that this was supposed to last for an hour or two. More than the energy side, I gave it to my son more as a 'mood food' (meaning it makes you happy) - something to do with endorphins - Bit over my head, I'm afraid.

I'm sure a banana would have been a preferable option but unfortunately my son doesn't enjoy fruit and I wouldn't want to lay down the law on a day like that!

I was very interested to read the comments on pasta. We also removed it completely for a couple of weeks before the exams but to be honest, I didn't notice any real difference. My son has been taking fish oils for the past couple of months also....Oh the lengths we go to!!

Anyway, sorry if I gave wrong info, re: the chocolate - I'm no expert just a mum who is trying her best.

Milly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:47 pm 

Dear Milly

You are not 'wrong' it's just one of my fads.

My first child had the banana, my second didn't like bananas. guess what I gave him a mars bar! [ first child not impressed.]

Perhaps, you could say I should practice what I preach, I say its the difference between being a Tutor and a Mum! As a tutor, the banana is preferable, as a Mum its whatever keeps you happy my darling son.

The pasta thing it's only applicable to some people, as I am not an expert I just say try binning it and see what happens, some find an improvement others do not!

Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:14 pm 
Thanks for that Patricia. I've been feeling somewhat bad. I would not want to give anyone wrong advice.

For me, exams, stress, etc are all at a welcome end 'til March and we can only hope for the best but for anyone who has forthcoming exams - I (and many of us) know exactly how you are feeling.

Thank you Patricia for all your advice (I've read it all)!

Milly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:58 pm 
Perhaps I could set up a chocolate fountain where the girls can dip pieces of fruit into the chocolate, combining the best of both.

Maybe not.

Milly and Patricia, thanks to you both for your comments

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:00 pm 
Perhaps I could set up a chocolate fountain where the girls can dip pieces of fruit into the chocolate, combining the best of both.

Maybe not.

Milly and Patricia, thanks to you both for your comments