Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:44 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 pm
Posts: 7
I am not against the allocation of seats for under privilege children but I agree this will be very unfair for the hard working children and their parents. I had experience of stress and effort to go through to pass the test. My daughter has passed the test and we are close to school of choice so hopefully she will get allocation in March but I shall be very gutted and frustrated if she could not get due to such criteria.

From my personal experience, I have known few families who are claiming PP for their children but are quite well off (cash income not declared) . I know this is a different topic and come under benefit cheats abusing the system but learning such people manage to get the admissions and are not even in the catchment area make my really annoyed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 5810
As you have personal experience of this, I am sure you have reported any fraudulent activity?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 am
Posts: 2342
To reiterate what I have already said. Out of catchment PP do not take priority over in catchment children.

The order in which qualified pupils will be admitted
  1. Looked After Children
  2. In catchment PP
  3. In catchment siblings
  4. In catchment
  5. Out of catchment PP
  6. Out of catchment siblings
  7. Out of catchment

Within each category priority is give to those who live closest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 am
Posts: 2342
kenyancowgirl wrote:
As you have personal experience of this, I am sure you have reported any fraudulent activity?

Why are you assuming it is fraudulent? You either qualify for PP or you don't.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pupil-premi ... n-settings
Quote:
Schools are given a pupil premium for:
In the 2018 to 2019 financial year, schools will receive the following funding for each pupil registered as eligible for free school meals (FSM) at any point in the last 6 years:

£1,320 for pupils in reception to year 6
£935 for pupils in year 7 to year 11

Schools will receive £2,300 for any pupil:

identified in the January 2018 school census or the alternative provision census as having left local authority care as a result of:
adoption
a special guardianship order
a child arrangements order (previously known as a residence order)
who has been in local authority care for 1 day or more
recorded as both eligible for FSM in the last 6 years and as being looked after (or as having left local authority care)

For pupils who attract the £2,300 rate, the virtual school head of the local authority that looks after the pupil will manage the funding.

We’ve published pupil premium allocations for the 2018 to 2019 financial year. These are based on data from the January 2018 school census.

You can find more information about the terms of the funding in the conditions of grant document.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:04 pm
Posts: 1775
PP is a slightly peculiar measure in some ways. You are PP if your children have qualified for FSM in the last five years. A friend of mine has children who were PP when they started secondary school (went to local comprehensive) even though she was a doctor because she'd been a student in the last 5 years. (She went to medical school with small children; her husband looked after them and took a very significant hit in income to do so). She was embarrassed to discover that they were entitled to PP and didn't want to tell the school. Of course I told her how the school would benefit so she did - but my point is that you can't tell from the outside why people might be PP and it is possible that they might have had a change in circumstances and still be PP.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:59 pm
Posts: 5810
Mitasol, Chechi_master referred to knowing people who "did not declare their cash income". Obviously, to not declare income, in order to gain benefit (eg social security benefits, or FSM) is fraudulent, but, how Chechi_master would know this, I am not sure. Most families don't go around a) saying they are PP and b) boasting about none declared cash income.

I don't believe they were fraudulent - I know the rules for PP - I was being a little tongue in cheek to Chechi_master - you can never judge someone unless you have walked a mile in their shoes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 pm
Posts: 7
I am not generalizing and saying everyone on PP is claiming fraudulently. But I have seen few families who did it.

How I found it or if I reported it ....not for others to worry about. I wanted to make a point and I accept it is controversial and not everyone must agree.

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:33 am
Posts: 31
Just for info. BBC today has an article about how many schools intend to lower the pass mark for Pupil Premium to encourage disadvantaged children. There is £50M expansion fund set by the Government to be shared by 16 selected schools. AGSB has been selected for this area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46429040

From my own experience and going back over 10 years ago, my son was at AGSB and my daughter was at AGGS. At that time things were done in parallel. This might explain why AGGS is following what AGSB will be doing with their admission procedures, now that AGSB have been selected for the expansion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 pm
Posts: 10
mitasol wrote:
To reiterate what I have already said. Out of catchment PP do not take priority over in catchment children.

The order in which qualified pupils will be admitted
  1. Looked After Children
  2. In catchment PP
  3. In catchment siblings
  4. In catchment
  5. Out of catchment PP
  6. Out of catchment siblings
  7. Out of catchment

Within each category priority is give to those who live closest.


Hi Mitasol,
The catchment area is massive, 8 miles.... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 pm
Posts: 10
Chechi_master wrote:
I am not against the allocation of seats for under privilege children but I agree this will be very unfair for the hard working children and their parents. I had experience of stress and effort to go through to pass the test. My daughter has passed the test and we are close to school of choice so hopefully she will get allocation in March but I shall be very gutted and frustrated if she could not get due to such criteria.

From my personal experience, I have known few families who are claiming PP for their children but are quite well off (cash income not declared) . I know this is a different topic and come under benefit cheats abusing the system but learning such people manage to get the admissions and are not even in the catchment area make my really annoyed.


I agree thoroughly with your post.

The hard work involved for children & their parents, and the stress and effort in the process is a lot.It's always easy for non-parents, who will not be affected by the potential implications of this unfair change, to comment how it'll help society ...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2019