Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:59 am 

It is pants that data standards differ between local authorities. So many differences in and between regions.

How hard is it to sort out a standard set of info. It is not like people don't move between authorities (food for thought eh!)

PP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:07 pm 

My DS went into DIY route with me being his tutor. We both tackled GL papers and MGS papers and I can say that MGS paper is harder. My DS scored well over 90's to full mark in GL papers whilst he scored only around 80'ish for MGS papers in his final test days before the actual test. With GL papers, higher algebra like complex simultaneous equations and simplifying equations to the nth power is very rare to none whilst it's always present with MGS papers. MGS paper Math 2 is even more tingling to the mind of an 11 year old. English papers require exceptional command of the English language through essay type answers. Having said this, I've no idea if MGS administratively is easier to pass than AGSB but surely MGS test is harder than AGSB. Btw my DS received offers from both AGSB and MGS but he opted for MGS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:30 pm 

I think thats a good point enigma - the difficulty of the paper and the difficulty of getting a place are perhaps 2 different things (due the level/score required to be offered a place). Like I said above, I don't know anyone who has passed AGSB who hasn't passed MGS, but I know boys who have passed MGS but haven't passed AGSB.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:04 pm 

Hi Iofthetiger
I am afraid I don't have any experience of AGGS, but I do have a DS in AGSB.
I think there are around 1500 children that apply for each school and AGSB always used to admit around 180 boys, although I believe it is now nearer to 210.
We were told at the information evening that approximately 1/3 of boys are from out of area.
Children from APS are not allocated a priority place at the school, that would be unethical as APS is private and AGSB is state.
Please don't worry about the MGS exam- it is completely different. I am not sure whether MGS is easier but in DS's class, 3 boys that did not pass the AGSB exam passed for MGS and that was similar in a friend's school.
Currently the exam use GL papers at AGSB but it may be changing to CEM. We were advised that a pass mark is around 80%.
Best of luck to your DS/DD.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:14 pm 

Entrance criteria at Year 7 between the two hot schools for boys in Manchester:

MGS Entrance Requirements - 1 whole day assessment + own entrance test (math & english papers) + primary/prep headteacher reference
AGSB Entrance Requirements - entrance test only; passing mark for in-area is at least 334+/-... passing mark for out-of-area pupils depends on how many in-area pupils got at least 334 and over (in-area pupils given more priority over out-of-area pupils).

*This must be the reason why the 3 pupils who did not pass AGSB exam passed MGS as they could have shown their real potentials via the 3 MGS unique type of screening pupils who they believe can thrive in their highly academic environment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:43 pm 

enigma wrote:
Entrance criteria at Year 7 between the two hot schools for boys in Manchester:

MGS Entrance Requirements - 1 whole day assessment + own entrance test (math & english papers) + primary/prep headteacher reference
AGSB Entrance Requirements - entrance test only; passing mark for in-area is at least 334+/-... passing mark for out-of-area pupils depends on how many in-area pupils got at least 334 and over (in-area pupils given more priority over out-of-area pupils).

*This must be the reason why the 3 pupils who did not pass AGSB exam passed MGS as they could have shown their real potentials via the 3 MGS unique type of screening pupils who they believe can thrive in their highly academic environment.

+1

There is one main reason why AGSB has never been in the top 100 of all schools.

It's small catchment of WA14 and WA15 from which 70% of it's students are selected from.

But to fair to AGSB, OOC qualifiers (as well as some in catchment students who score over 150) pupils are probably brighter than most MGS students at that tender age.

AGSB has chosen to keep their school predominately local-Good for them :D

AGGS has chosen a different path, selecting from a much bigger pool without prejudice and thus is consistently in the top 100 around the top 50 in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:03 pm 

Not sure how this thread became a comparison between MGS and AGSB, of course MGS has a more thorough entrance approach, lets face it if every parent paid £50 to allow their boy to sit AGSB they would probably be able to be more thorough in their approach. My boy sat both, fair to say that MGS is a more difficult exam, but the boys dont have to score as high as AGSB to get a pass. Both schools are excellent, for me I couldnt see the point in paying (it would have been a struggle for us) when we could have such a good school without the fees. At the end of the day, if a child wants to work hard and achieve and has reasonable ability they will, if on the other hand they are bright but lazy with a bad attitude they wont. Simple as. I have learnt watching my DD she has always worked hard but certainly not a high flyer, quite able and very willing, now she has had an offer from a Russell Group Uni, that was because she wanted it , like other individuals from her non selective sixth form, one or two of whom will be going to Oxford and Cambridge, shock horror they didnt need a grammar or an independent to achieve their goals!,, i am happy my DS is where he is but what i have learnt from my experience it is more about the child and not the school. In saying that my DS is bit lazy, so being in a school like AGSB keeps him on his toes, the very able and dedicated children will thrive anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:51 am 

Wilmslowmum, I don't think it started off as a comparison, it was just a comment up thread that said if your child was getting 50% on the MGS practice papers, then that would indicate that they'd do well on the Alty entrance exams. I think it then turned into a discussion about the tests, which is harder etc, with the inevitable going off on a tangent!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:13 pm 

Catseye wrote:
There is one main reason why AGSB has never been in the top 100 of all schools.
It's small catchment of WA14 and WA15 from which 70% of it's students are selected from.
But to fair to AGSB, OOC qualifiers (as well as some in catchment students who score over 150) pupils are probably brighter than most MGS students at that tender age.
AGSB has chosen to keep their school predominately local-Good for them :D
AGGS has chosen a different path, selecting from a much bigger pool without prejudice and thus is consistently in the top 100 around the top 50 in the UK.

I quite disagree with you Catseye in the third line. OOC qualifiers or in catchment with scores over 150 probably brighter than some but not "most" MGS boys. Over 50% of MGS boys were from their Junior school who have been screened via unique assessment at a very young age and nurtured throughout to the extent that they can easily pass AGSB test. Around 30% were from other preparatory schools like APS, Lady Barn House, Terra Nova, etc., 10-20% were from state primary school usually clever enough to get bursaries... Apart from the MGS junior boys who gained automatic promotion to year 7, most of the new entrants also received offers from AGSB and other Trafford grammar schools. By the way assessment for incoming MGS junior year 3 includes 3-column addition/subtraction, essay writing, higher stage reading, group works, unique lecture + test i.e. sequences & series, magic squares, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:39 pm 

By 'most' I mean more than 50%, so I stand by my statement.
Since neither of us have any verifiable data I am happy to disagree.

Mandy is right approx 50% is the pass mark for MGS entrance exam for fee paying students who are the vast majority.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next