Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:30 am 

According to this map
http://grammarschools.lincs.sch.uk/schools/
we aren't in catchment for any Lincolnshire grammar schools as we live in Market Rasen.
Does anyone have experience of getting into any of the Lincolnshire grammars when not living in a catchment area?
Also, would we still be able to get transportation?
Am totally new to all of this, so any advice would be appreciated :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:17 am 

I know some from East Nottinghamshire who get into Grantham but they don't get transport. Do you know any people locally who go to Grammar Schools ? Is it worth checking with them where they go / how they get there

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:31 am 

A quick search of Lincolnshire CC website shows lots of information about school and transport stuff. Maybe look there and if you can't find the answer ring them on Monday?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:56 am 

I'm not in your area, but to the casual observer, there seems to be a public bus service from Market Rasen to Caistor? I don't know whether you are looking at Caistor Grammar School, of source, or how convenient the stops are either for where you live or where the school is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:30 am 

Caistor usually take some from outside catchment as there aren't usually enough within catchment who qualify.
I say usually, as it might not always be the case.
As it is a rural area, there are school bus routes, but I don't know what exactly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:34 am 

In addition, spending on where you live, William Farr is an excellent non selective alternative and worth looking at.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:40 pm 

Plenty of people get to Louth King Edward VI and to Caistor Grammar schools from the Market Rasen area. Both these schools have an inner priority area but then allocate places on score order. Caistor has its own tests which are different from the consortium tests and is generally more "competitive" to get into with cut off scores being quite high some years and it is small.
You would not qualify for free transport to either of the schools as you would have De Aston School nearby as your designated transport area school.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:45 pm 

Alex wrote:
Plenty of people get to Louth King Edward VI and to Caistor Grammar schools from the Market Rasen area. Both these schools have an inner priority area but then allocate places on score order. Caistor has its own tests which are different from the consortium tests and is generally more "competitive" to get into with cut off scores being quite high some years and it is small.
You would not qualify for free transport to either of the schools as you would have De Aston School nearby as your designated transport area school.

That's great to know, thanks :-) I kinda expected we wouldn't get free transport, but was worried there wouldn't be any transport at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:59 pm 

It is only about twenty minutes from Market Rasen to Caistor on the bus. I am not sure about the journey to Louth - I have a feeling it is on one of those routes where you have to book the bus seat (call connect) - not sure- but you will usually find that the schools know how their pupils get there and will be helpful if you call or e-mail them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:23 pm 

I live in a village near Market Rasen, and my kids go to Caistor. Bus is at 0800 from Middle Rasen then via Mkt Rasen, Walesby, Osgodby, Usselby arriving about 0845 in Caistor Square - £1.30 I think from Mkt Rasen, goes up 10p a year, each way, cash on bus, bus run by Dents.

There is also a bus to KEVIGS, Louth, which I believe is £100 a month standing order, bus run by the school. The KEVIGS bus leaves just before the Caistor one and calls at least at Tealby en route.

Both buses arrive in Mkt Rsn just after 4.30pm.

Some take 53 to Welton for William Farr. Church attendance helps with getting in there, otherwise depends on demand and distance.

Out of catchment you need to score in about the top 10% to get into Caistor. Usually 2-6 kids from Mkt Rasen Primary achieve this, out of about 10-12 sitting it (from my own observations). They take highest marks out of catchment. Not all who achieve this choose to go there. About 45 places usually go to in-catchment kids (who just need to pass, not needing top scores, so about top 25%), and they have 100 places now (was 94 until last year).

KEVIGS you just have to pass, so in the top 25%. I believe if they were oversubscribed they would use distance as the criteria, but I don't think they usually are. They include Mkt Rsn area schools in a list of quasi-catchment schools - they admitted to me that it didn't really mean anything, when I quizzed them in detail (I'm annoying, I know).

Hope that helps!