Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:45 am 

I agree with everything you say there wonderwoman. There was a post in another county a couple of years ago from a GS teacher about how the test pretty much achieves what its set out to achieve. Yes some scrape in who perhaps wouldn't have done. I know 2 teachers well at QE and their big bug bear is a private school which mainly focuses on VR and NVR at the expense of maths, english etc. I purposely posted my post yesterday about DS, because he was in the eyes of some parents a 'shock' pass one who 'shouldn't have', due to the levels he was working at etc, not his teacher mind, who firmly believed he was able and just hadn't yet reached his potential. If I had told any of them I had tutored him as well, can you imagine the school gate gossip then ha ha!! My friend's daughter has just passed comfortably and she is likely to get a high level 3/low 4 in one of her Sats, with genuine reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:35 pm 

I think some will be shocked by my daughter passing and I'd hate to think she would be the subject of gossip and indeed had two ask the age percentage allowance she is a July birthday.

My daughter is young in mind, plays with dolls and does appear younger, also shy and confident until she gets to know someone, however what they don't know mainly because why would I discuss it with them?

Is she was a free reader almost two years younger than half her classmates and is level 5 in subjects apart from English where she is a level 6.

BB did you find any answers? Was it the questions she missed out? X

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:43 pm 

Hi Clarke,
Surprisingly she didn't do that bad in the paper considering the amount of questions that she missed. A few contentious issues have come to light over the past week which without going into lots of specifics would be hard for me to discuss so i wont even try, and every time i think about it i just get a headache. :?
School want to back me if i appeal (these issues) but i think you just know when something is not right and for me it doesn't feel right. DD is happy with the alternative and so am I. The plan is that things will stay as they are unless something disasterous happens in which case we will consider the 12+, made me laugh though, when i said this to DD2 her face dropped a mile. :D
Thanks for asking and i hope your DD has a great time when she gets to her new school, DD1 is there and absolutely flourishing. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:50 pm 

Of course leaving out all those questions didn't help! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 pm 

Hi Clarke - well done to your DD. I never discuss anything about mine at the school gates, it was just unfortunate that every one knew he was low down in maths, via their own children from how he was treated by the naff teacher, so it was a bit of a shocker for some when he stormed his 11 plus a year later. Not too comfortable with a teacher discussing who they feel ought to have passed and who they feel shouldn't have though BP. Hope the headache's improving Sx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:48 pm 

In fairness, the specific instance i am speaking of in my previous post, the teacher told the parent of the child that they would be surprised if the child passed and thought the child would struggle at the Grammar school, and the parent told me, and pretty much everyone else. That child did pass.
I happened to be present when the teacher approached another parent to say how shocked they were that their child didn't pass as they felt sure they would and were definately working at a Grammar school level if they wanted evidence for an appeal.

No i certainly wouldn't be happy with teachers or other parents chatting about my DD in the playground but unfortunately it does happen, not in a mean way just in a 'Oh did your hear so&so did this and he's in the bottom set for whatever so my DS will be fine cos he's in the top set', you know stuff like that, and especially in close knit schools you tend to be able to work out the childs place in the group, mainly because kids know and tell you. You wouldn't believe the VERY personnel stuff my DD comes home and tells me sometimes about what they have overheard about other kids. Usually due to their problems not being dealt with sensitively.
Our children are grouped into ability sets and the discussions over what set is the top set and whats the bottom are the main playground topic of discussion at pick up time. We are quite lucky that the ranking of sets isn't too obvious, i read somewhere on here that the top set at their school was called 'eagles' and the bottom set was 'moles'... i mean, come on!!!

Headaches all gone now thanks Stocky, and for the advise, always appreciated!x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:40 pm 

That made me chuckle BP. That's on a par with DS's primary x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6