Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 pm 

Hi Carolyn
That seems very odd that a child OOC can't get higher than rank 181 and I would question further the person who told you that. The admission criteria seem similar to LRGS and CRGS in that if you are in catchment and pass then you get a place and any places left go to OOC applicants in score order. BRGS defines its catchment differently in that it is based on attendance at Area 1 or Area 2 primary schools but once all those applicants have places then places must go to OOC applicants. How can they know in advance how many from Area 1 and 2 will pass.

I suppose ultimately it depends on whether or not there are enough places for all Area 1 and 2 applicants. I don't know enough about this school to know whether or not they do regularly take OOC applicants and how many. For comparison far as I know there are about 50 out of 150 places at LRGS and CRGS that go to OOC.

Also not sure if it helps but at LRGS I know that last year there were some kids admitted from the waiting list by September but there were also at least 4 who started in December of year 7 who I presume also came from the waiting list. I think a movement of about 5 to 10 would be fairly normal although there are no other grammar options for a child living in our area (Preston). If there are historically a lot of people who take tests for both Skipton and BRGS then you may be reasonable to hope for more movement on the list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:48 pm 

Mumski wrote:
Hi Carolyn
That seems very odd that a child OOC can't get higher than rank 181 and I would question further the person who told you that. The admission criteria seem similar to LRGS and CRGS in that if you are in catchment and pass then you get a place and any places left go to OOC applicants in score order. BRGS defines its catchment differently in that it is based on attendance at Area 1 or Area 2 primary schools but once all those applicants have places then places must go to OOC applicants. How can they know in advance how many from Area 1 and 2 will pass.

I suppose ultimately it depends on whether or not there are enough places for all Area 1 and 2 applicants. I don't know enough about this school to know whether or not they do regularly take OOC applicants and how many. For comparison far as I know there are about 50 out of 150 places at LRGS and CRGS that go to OOC.

Also not sure if it helps but at LRGS I know that last year there were some kids admitted from the waiting list by September but there were also at least 4 who started in December of year 7 who I presume also came from the waiting list. I think a movement of about 5 to 10 would be fairly normal although there are no other grammar options for a child living in our area (Preston). If there are historically a lot of people who take tests for both Skipton and BRGS then you may be reasonable to hope for more movement on the list.

Hi Mumski,

Thanks for your comments. I agree it does sound odd, and is probably incorrect.